Dark Chocolate Croissant Bread Pudding
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + standing Bake: 40 min.
- 8 croissants, torn into 2-inch pieces
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chunks
- 8 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups 2% milk
- 1 cup orange juice
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°. Place croissants in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish; sprinkle with chocolate chunks. In a large bowl, whisk eggs, sugar, orange zest, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt until blended. Stir in milk, orange juice and vanilla; pour over top. Let stand about 15 minutes or until bread is softened.
- Bake, uncovered, 40-45 minutes or until puffed and golden brown; cover loosely with foil during last 10 minutes if top browns too quickly. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 323 calories, 15g fat (8g saturated fat), 123mg cholesterol, 230mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (29g sugars, 2g fiber), 9g protein.
Feb 29, 2016
Would have rated a 5 STAR if it didnt taste like citrus. Im not a fan of orange and chocolate together. If you are, then this is yummy! It baked up great, I have no complaints by the way it cooked. I would allow more than 15 minutes for soaking though, maybe 30 minutes, I just lightly pressed the torn bread into the mixture a few times and it was fine though. The only difference I did was use 15 mini croissants, omit the zest, I still noticed that OJ, even more than the cinnamon and the nutmeg (and we all know how powerful nutmeg can be!) I will make this again, but next time still omitting the orange zest, replace the OJ with milk or 1/2 and 1/2 and increase the cinnamon and nutmeg by a tad. Other than the citrus flavor, this was really good, like i said, I would have given a 5 STAR if it wasn't for the orange flavor.
Oct 9, 2015
This is really good but after reading the reviews, I made several modifications. 15 minutes is not nearly enough time for the croissants to soak up the liquids. I let it sit for several hours covered in the fridge but it could easily sit overnight. I also reduced the milk to 1 cup. The orange chocolate flavors blend nicely. Will definitely be making this again.
Apr 19, 2015
I cooked this for almost 60 minutes and the edges were burnt while the centre was still runny. Even when I took out a piece from the burnt edge, the inside was runny and soggy
Mar 7, 2015