Cranberry Bread Pudding
Total TimePrep: 35 min. + standing Bake: 65 min.
- 16 slices bread, crusts removed, cubed
- 1-1/2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries, thawed
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 6 large eggs
- 4 cups whole milk
- 3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ORANGE CUSTARD SAUCE:
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 orange peel strip (1/4 inch)
- 1/2 teaspoon orange extract
- In a greased 13x9-in. baking dish, layer half of the bread cubes, cranberries and orange zest. Repeat layers. Drizzle with butter.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs, milk, 3/4 cup sugar and vanilla until blended; pour over bread mixture. Let stand for 15-30 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining sugar.
- Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 65-75 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- For sauce, in a small heavy saucepan, whisk egg yolks and sugar. Stir in cream and orange peel. Cook over low heat about 15-20 minutes or until mixture is just thick enough to coat a metal spoon and a thermometer reads at least 160°, stirring constantly but gently. Do not allow to boil. Immediately transfer to a bowl.
- Place bowl in an ice-water bath for a few minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in extract. Discard orange peel. Refrigerate until chilled. Serve with bread pudding.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 370 calories, 19g fat (10g saturated fat), 208mg cholesterol, 299mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (24g sugars, 1g fiber), 10g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jul 22, 2013
Our whole family enjoyed this as a dessert. I couldn't find fresh or frozen cranberries so I used Ocean Spray whole cranberry sauce. I also used low fat milk and egg beaters to make this lower in fat for family with heart disease, and less sugar for family members with diabetes. I am making it again today and if I again, if I don't find the cranberries called for, I'll use the canned again. I also didn't use the sauce. It didn't appeal to me.
Dec 4, 2012
Loved this recipe! Easy to follow, and it turned out great.