Cranberry Cheese Bread
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 1 hour + cooling
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1-1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries, thawed and halved
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients. Cut in shortening until crumbly. Combine the egg, cheese, orange juice and water. Make a well in the dry ingredients; stir in egg mixture just until moistened. Add the cranberries and the nuts.
- Pour into a greased 9x5-in. loaf pan. Bake at 350° for 60-70 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Store in the refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 191 calories, 7g fat (3g saturated fat), 25mg cholesterol, 219mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Dec 21, 2013
I have been searching for this delicious recipe. A friend from many years ago in Michigna used tomake this and looked high and low for the recipe again. Thank you for sharing!
Dec 22, 2011
Very tasty. Combination of the cranberries and cheddar cheese is excellent. Made gift loaves for family and friends.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.