Dark Chocolate Espresso Tapioca Pudding
I've been experimenting with espresso powder in different dishes. I really enjoy this chocolate tapioca pudding, and I hope you do, too! —Shelly Bevington, Hermiston, Oregon
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + standing Cook: 20 min. + cooling
- 2 cups water
- 2/3 cup pearl tapioca
- 1 carton (32 ounces) unsweetened almond milk
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 1-1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 1 to 2 tablespoons instant espresso powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup dark baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Chopped chocolate covered espresso beans, optional
- In a large saucepan, combine water and tapioca; let stand 30 minutes. Whisk in almond milk, egg yolks, 1/2 cup sugar, espresso powder and salt. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, until slightly thickened, 10-15 minutes, stirring frequently. Combine 1/4 cup sugar and baking cocoa; stir into pan. Cook and stir 2 minutes longer.
- In a large bowl, beat egg whites on medium speed until foamy. Gradually add remaining 1/2 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high after each addition until sugar is dissolved. Continue beating until soft glossy peaks form.
- Gently fold a small amount of tapioca mixture into egg whites; return all to pan, whisking constantly. Cook and stir 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Cool 15 minutes; stir in vanilla. Transfer to dessert dishes. Press plastic wrap onto surface of pudding. Refrigerate until cold (pudding will thicken upon cooling).