Warm Rocky Road Cake
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 3 hours
- 1 package German chocolate cake mix (regular size)
- 1 package (3.9 ounces) instant chocolate pudding mix
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3-1/4 cups 2% milk, divided
- 1 package (3.4 ounces) cook-and-serve chocolate pudding mix
- 1-1/2 cups miniature marshmallows
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- Vanilla ice cream, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the first 6 ingredients; add 1-1/4 cups milk. Beat on low speed 30 seconds. Beat on medium 2 minutes. Transfer to a greased 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker. Sprinkle cook-and-serve pudding mix over batter.
- In a small saucepan, heat remaining milk until bubbles form around sides of pan; gradually pour over contents of slow cooker.
- Cook, covered, on high 3-4 hours or until a toothpick inserted in cake portion comes out with moist crumbs.
- Turn off slow cooker. Sprinkle marshmallows, chocolate chips and pecans over cake; let stand, covered, until marshmallows begin to melt, about 5 minutes. Serve warm. If desired, serve with ice cream.
Editor's NoteTo toast nuts, bake in a shallow pan in a 350° oven for 5-10 minutes or cook in a skillet over low heat until lightly browned, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 386 calories, 17g fat (8g saturated fat), 59mg cholesterol, 431mg sodium, 55g carbohydrate (34g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein.
Mar 11, 2015
i made this yesterday, and it was wonderful it was very rich. my mother loved it.
May 12, 2014
I was a bit disappointed in this recipe. It tasted good the day I served it, but it sat in the refrigerator ever after and no one wanted any more. (and I have three boys and a husband). The leftovers kind of tasted like grainy chocolate cake, it was not all that flavorful left over.
Mar 29, 2014
Very good. Very sweet, but very good! Will make again when I am cooking for a crowd.
Dec 7, 2013
I made this recipe for work and it was a big hit!