Chocolate Marshmallow Cake
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 package (10-1/2 ounces) miniature marshmallows, divided
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- In a microwave, melt butter and chocolate; stir until smooth. Cool for 10 minutes. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; set aside. In a large bowl, beat the eggs, sugar, applesauce and vanilla. Stir in chocolate mixture. Gradually add dry ingredients and mix well.
- Pour into a greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 20-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Set aside 1/2 cup marshmallows for glaze. Sprinkle remaining marshmallows over cake. Return to the oven for 2 minutes or until marshmallows are softened.
- In a small saucepan, combine the sugar, milk and butter. Bring to a boil; boil for 1-1/2 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in chocolate chips and reserved marshmallows until melted. Quickly drizzle over the cake (glaze will harden as it cools).
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 259 calories, 10g fat (6g saturated fat), 46mg cholesterol, 160mg sodium, 43g carbohydrate (31g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Jun 25, 2017
Chocolate and marshmallows go together nicely here on a moist and flavorful cake!!
Jan 11, 2017
Insanely Good! I used a yellow Pillsbury cake mix and made into a 13 x 9 for pot luck. My goal was to use up sticky large marshmallows (left over from smores) that were taking up room in the cabinet. I cut them up into pieces and probably used more than the recipe called for. For the frosting, I increased the butter to 4T and used two handfuls of chocolate chips along with a large ball of marshmallows cut up. I dabbed it over the softened marshmallow topped cake and used edge of spatula to spread horizontal lines. I was concerned about cutting the cake after cooled so I cut it after cooling for 15 min. I tried placing on plate, but it didn't look appetizing so I returned it to the 13 x 9 pan. We delivered the cake warm to the pot luck with one row missing. What?? My daughter and I couldn't resist the hot mess of gooey goodness!
Feb 20, 2013
So good! Turned out well with dairy-free margarine and soy milk.
Oct 29, 2011
Love this cake! It almost tastes like snowballs but without the pink coconut! Yum!
Oct 23, 2011
the best cake ever! kids can't stop eating...
Aug 3, 2008
Mar 5, 2008
This is a really nice recipe. It's easy to make and has always come out great for me. Makes a great snack and is a hit with people. Definitely worth making.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.