Chocolate Guinness Cake
Total TimePrep: 25 Bake: 45 min. + cooling
- 1 cup Guinness (dark beer)
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup baking cocoa
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- Grease a 9-in. springform pan and line the bottom with parchment paper; set aside.
- In a small saucepan, heat beer and butter until butter is melted. Remove from the heat; whisk in sugar and cocoa until blended. Combine the eggs, sour cream and vanilla; whisk into beer mixture. Combine flour and baking soda; whisk into beer mixture until smooth. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack. Remove sides of pan.
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese until fluffy. Add confectioners’ sugar and cream; beat until smooth (do not over-beat). Remove cake from the pan and place on a platter or cake stand. Ice top of cake so that it resembles a frothy pint of beer. Refrigerate leftovers.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 494 calories, 22g fat (13g saturated fat), 99mg cholesterol, 288mg sodium, 69g carbohydrate (49g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein.
Mar 28, 2019
i made this cake for St. Paddy's day and everyone loved it! it was moist and so good.
Mar 18, 2018
Awesome cake. Love to make
Mar 17, 2018
My guests loved the cake. Easy to make and came out exactly like the picture. Will definitely make again.
Feb 20, 2018
I love this cake and so does everyone else. I've made it twice and each time it sinks in the middle. No one has given me a reason. Would someone please tell me why it sinks and how to fix it.
Sep 22, 2017
Hi Debra,My guess would be your cocoa powder, different brands vary in color intensity. This recipe yields around 5 cups of batter, that should easily fit in a 9" springform pan.Hope this helps!Sue StetzelRecipe Support SpecialistTaste of Home Magazine
Sep 22, 2017
Recipe was a complete success! I followed the it ~almost~ exactly. I substituted all-purpose-flour for cake flour. And I find doing personal sized cakes is much better. Took about 20 minutes for mini cakes in the oven. I also made my own cream cheese icing.They were ~very moist~, and surprisingly delicious! Much sweeter than I was expecting, which is fine because I LOVE SWEET!Next time I may make a ganache.
Sep 16, 2017
I made this cake and it was not what I expected or saw in the picture. It was not DARK and made way more then the recipe said. I used Guinness Stout beer but it did not come out dark and chocolate tasting(it was more like a gingerbread cake). It was good, but not what the picture looked like. What might have gone wrong?
Apr 4, 2016
I made this for a St. Patrick's day dessert. It was easy to make and tasted pretty good. I think the Guinness beer took away some of the chocolate flavor, though. I used dark cocoa powder and still thought it lacked chocolate flavor. I would definitely add more cocoa powder and maybe some extra sugar to sweeten it up a bit. The texture was very moist, though, and my kids loved it!
Sep 18, 2015
Very moist and tastes OK. Not sure I will make it again though. There is a strong flavor to the cake that I do not really like. Also, I had to add vanilla to the frosting. Otherwise, I didn't change anything. Perhaps it will taste better tomorrow...some things are like that! One thing I really liked about the recipe is that it is quick to make and I did not have to get out my big mixer.
Sep 5, 2015
Delicious! My husband & kids both agree!