Homemade Chocolate Cake
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 25 min. + cooling
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups water
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons white vinegar
- CHOCOLATE CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa
- Dash salt
- 3 tablespoons whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, combine the first five ingredients. Add the water, oil, vanilla and vinegar; mix well (batter will be thin).
- Pour into a greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool completely.
- For frosting, in a large bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until fluffy. Add the confectioners' sugar, cocoa, salt, milk and vanilla; mix well. Spread over cake. Store in the refrigerator.
Editor's NoteThis recipe does not use eggs.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 413 calories, 17g fat (5g saturated fat), 15mg cholesterol, 385mg sodium, 64g carbohydrate (41g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jul 3, 2017
I'm a sucker for a great chocolate cake and this one is great!!
May 9, 2017
Very good chocolate cake and frosting--it was gone in a flash!
Mar 29, 2017
Dense, flavorless besides a flour aftertaste. Followed the recipe exactly. Worst cake I've ever made.
Feb 20, 2016
We made this recipe of chocolate cake with the chocolate cream cheese icing for my grand daughters birthday today. It was awesome, good flavor, and good texture. We added an egg to the cake batter and it turned out really good. We highly recommend this recipe.
Aug 27, 2015
After reading the comments, the dense quality was the biggest complaint. I hate a dense cake so I added one egg to the batter. The most delicious fluffy and moist cake I've ever made! I highly recommend.
Jun 16, 2015
Ok I just made this both the cake and frosting and honestly they both are nasty and the smell in our house didn't smell nice like a cake baking. The smell was more of a stink. I follow the exact recipe for the cake and for the frosting and they both are horrible
Mar 17, 2015
Did not like this at all. Very dense probably cause there are no eggs in it. Won't make again.
Sep 19, 2014
Only tried the frosting, but it was awesome! Also, I used an 8 oz pack of cream cheese instead of a 3 oz.
Aug 28, 2014
its a good recipe but its not my favorite the cake did not taste right without eggs in it. Its also a tad flavorless and its definetly not for cake in a mug
Jun 15, 2014
It is a delicious moist cake that the whole family loves!