Chocolate Comfort Cake
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 50 min. + cooling
- 1 package dark chocolate cake mix (regular size)
- 1 package (3.9 ounces) instant chocolate pudding mix
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- 3/4 cup brewed coffee
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients; beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes.
- Pour into a well-greased 10-in. fluted tube pan. Bake at 350° until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean, 50-55 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- In a double boiler, melt butter and chocolate. Stir occasionally until mixture is glossy and smooth. Drizzle over cake.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 541 calories, 32g fat (12g saturated fat), 82mg cholesterol, 459mg sodium, 61g carbohydrate (36g sugars, 3g fiber), 6g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 19, 2019
This was very moist! I used a Devil’s food cake mix since that is what I had on hand. I didn’t add the extra sugar since it wasn’t a dark chocolate cake mix. I used 4 oz chocolate and 2 tsp of oil for the drizzle.
Feb 14, 2019
Nordic Ware Platinum Collection Heritage Bundt Pan Nordic Ware https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0021CEREA/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_dp_U_x_-YmzCbH7XFFM5 via @amazon
Feb 13, 2019
The whole recipe is above. Click on view recipe. The pan depicted is in fact a bundt pan. It’s the Nordic Ware Platinum Collection Heritage Bundt Pan. You can use any type of bundt pan you wish, or if you don’t own one, a 9x13 would do. Adjust your time to reflect the change in pan. Hope this helps.
Feb 13, 2019
You can get the bundt pans on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Nordic-Ware-Platinum-Collection-Heritage/dp/B0021CEREA
Feb 13, 2019
The pan is a Nordic Bundt from Williams Sonoma: https://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/heritage-bundt-cake-pan/?catalogId=60
Feb 12, 2019
What kind of pan did you use? Why do you only put parts of recipes...I'm sure everyone would like to make this as fancy as it looks!
Feb 10, 2019
What kind of pan was used for this photo shot of the Comfort Chocolate Cake? Certainly NOT tube pan or bundt pan.
Feb 1, 2019
What a moist and delicious cake! I used vegetable oil in place of canola oil and Greek yogurt in place of the sour cream.
Dec 10, 2018
when i baked the cake we found all of the supplies we needed and my whole classroom loved it and so did i
Dec 8, 2018
I made this cake and had used a brownie mix as I didn't have a regular chocolate cake mix. I did not have unsalted butter, so I used salted butter. This recipe is a winner! I'd shared it with the rosary group who gets together each week and it all went! Everyone who tasted the cake really enjoyed it!