Chocolate Comfort Cake
This moist and delicious chocolate cake is usually the first dessert to go. People even eat the crumbs. It’s always my top choice for holiday dinners. —Ellen Riley, Murfreesboro, Tennessee
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 50 min. + cooling
- 1 package dark chocolate cake mix (regular size)
- 1 package (3.9 ounces) instant chocolate pudding mix
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- 3/4 cup brewed coffee
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients; beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes.
- Pour into a well-greased 10-in. fluted tube pan. Bake at 350° until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean, 50-55 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- In a double boiler, melt butter and chocolate. Stir occasionally until mixture is glossy and smooth. Drizzle over cake.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 541 calories, 32g fat (12g saturated fat), 82mg cholesterol, 459mg sodium, 61g carbohydrate (36g sugars, 3g fiber), 6g protein.
Originally published as Chocolate Comfort Cake in Taste of Home December 2018
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.