Chocolate Comfort Cake
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 50 min. + cooling
- 1 package dark chocolate cake mix (regular size)
- 1 package (3.9 ounces) instant chocolate pudding mix
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- 3/4 cup brewed coffee
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients; beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes.
- Pour into a well-greased 10-in. fluted tube pan. Bake at 350° until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean, 50-55 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- In a double boiler, melt butter and chocolate. Stir occasionally until mixture is glossy and smooth. Drizzle over cake.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 541 calories, 32g fat (12g saturated fat), 82mg cholesterol, 459mg sodium, 61g carbohydrate (36g sugars, 3g fiber), 6g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Dec 10, 2018
when i baked the cake we found all of the supplies we needed and my whole classroom loved it and so did i
Dec 8, 2018
I made this cake and had used a brownie mix as I didn't have a regular chocolate cake mix. I did not have unsalted butter, so I used salted butter. This recipe is a winner! I'd shared it with the rosary group who gets together each week and it all went! Everyone who tasted the cake really enjoyed it!
Dec 1, 2018
This is an easy cake that tastes delicious and comes together easily. I think that the coffee really enhances the chocolate flavor - yum! I like adding flaked coocnut or chopped pecans to the cake batter at times for added flavor and texture, or I'll sometimes sprinkle the coconut or pecans on top of the glaze. This cake tastes great by itself or topped with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.
Nov 29, 2018
This is a very moist, dense cake, which in my opinion is just the way I like my cakes. I'll be making this for dessert a number of times I'm sure.