Frosted Chocolate Cake
This recipe is my mother's oldest and most popular chocolate cake recipe. I always thought it should have a fancier name, but this is what she called it. Mom would say a fancy name would not make it taste better. —Beth Bristow West Plains, Missouri
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Bake: 25 min. + cooling
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3/4 cup butter, melted
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons whole milk
- Dark or additional regular baking cocoa, optional
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature 30 minutes. In a small bowl, mix cocoa and boiling water until smooth; cool slightly. Line bottoms of two greased 9-in. round baking pans with parchment paper; grease paper.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Cream butter, brown sugar and 3/4 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla and egg yolks, one at a time. In another bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, cream of tartar and salt. Add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating after each addition. Stir in cocoa mixture.
- With clean beaters, beat egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high after each addition until sugar is dissolved. Continue beating until stiff peaks form. Fold into batter. Transfer to prepared pans. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 23-28 minutes.
- Cool in pans 10 minutes before removing to wire racks; remove paper. Cool completely.
- Beat together first four frosting ingredients. Spread between layers and over top and sides of cake. If desired, dust top lightly with cocoa.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 510 calories, 16g fat (10g saturated fat), 86mg cholesterol, 283mg sodium, 89g carbohydrate (71g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Frosted Chocolate Cake in Country Woman February/March 2018
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.