Rich Chocolate Cake
Total TimePrep: 35 min. + chilling Bake: 45 min. + cooling
- 2-2/3 cups (16 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 cup sugar
- 8 eggs
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 3 tablespoons half-and-half cream
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons corn syrup
- Fresh raspberries and fresh mint, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease a 10-in. springform pan and wrap bottom of pan with heavy-duty foil; set aside.
- In a large saucepan, combine chips, butter, cream and sugar; cook over low heat until chocolate is melted, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; stir until smooth. Pour into a large bowl; cool.
- In another large bowl, beat eggs on high 3 minutes or until light and fluffy. Beat into chocolate mixture, a third at a time, until well blended. Stir in vanilla.
- Pour into prepared pan; place on a baking sheet. Bake 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with moist crumbs (top will crack). Cool on a wire rack (cake will settle). Cover and chill 1 hour. Run a knife around edge of pan before removing sides.
- For glaze, in a large saucepan, combine chips, cream, butter and corn syrup; cook over low heat until chocolate is melted; stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat; stir until smooth.
- Spread enough of the glaze over top and sides of cake to cover. Chill 10 minutes. Repeat with remaining glaze. Chill overnight. Serve with raspberries and mint if desired. Refrigerate leftovers.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 417 calories, 29g fat (17g saturated fat), 150mg cholesterol, 178mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (36g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Dec 13, 2013
This cake is everyone's favorite dessert in my family! I added 10 min. to the baking time though.
Sep 9, 2012
DELICIOUS! I made this for my mother's birthday and we all loved it! The recipe was amazing and so simple. The cake had an almost cheesecake like texture and taste. I will definitely be making it again and I might even put a graham cracker crust in the next one just to see. I will definitely be recommending this cake to lots of people including my friends that can't have gluten! YUMMY!
Feb 15, 2012
Made this for our Valentine's Dinner, nothing but kudos for the taste, texture, and overall appearance. Served it with Strawberries and a real whipped cream!! Yummy! Well worth the time spent making this decadent desert!!
Mar 15, 2011
extremely rich cake. Very good. I thought a little too much vanilla was used and by placing it on the baking sheet it was a little too gooey in the middle maybe next time i will cut the vanilla in half and take away the baking sheet half way through
Jan 17, 2011
My girlfriends always suggest that I make this cake when they come over or for when we together. Very rich and addicting!
Jun 2, 2010
Feb 1, 2010
I followed recipe to the tee and it fell completely flat as a pancake. There was no taste to it either. Will not try again. I do not want to take a chance in wasting that many eggs.
Jun 29, 2009
glad the comments mentioned "flourless cake" cause that was my first thought...hmmm..must be missing some ingredients. Can't wait to try it now...love chocolate!
Feb 16, 2009
This cake is soooo good!! If you are thinking about trying it, but not quite sure, this cake is a sure hit.
May 23, 2008
This cake is AWESOME! Any person would love this cake - and to a chocoholic, it's heaven! Even better than the "flourless" chocolate cake I've had at an exclusive club restaurant! And I didn't think the directions were really very involved either - easy to make, hard to stop eating!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.