Best Chocolate Cake
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1-1/2 cups 2% milk
- CHOCOLATE FROSTING:
- 2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1 cup sour cream
- 4-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- Chocolate curls, optional
- Line three 9-in. round baking pans with waxed paper; grease and flour the pans and paper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda, salt and baking powder; add to the creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition.
- Transfer to prepared pans. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a small heavy saucepan, melt chips and butter over low heat. Transfer to a large bowl; cool for 5 minutes. Stir in sour cream. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar until smooth. Spread between layers and over top and sides of cake. Garnish with chocolate curls if desired. Refrigerate leftovers.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 578 calories, 25g fat (15g saturated fat), 89mg cholesterol, 292mg sodium, 88g carbohydrate (70g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein.
Aug 24, 2019
This cake is delicious. We made them into cupcakes and they were moist and flavorful. It does make a lot of frosting but since we piped it we used it all. Besides it's so delicious. We did flavor ours with chocolate mint pil in the batter and frosting. They disappeared rapidly.
Aug 25, 2017
i make them in cupcake form my mom used to love them before she became diabetic
Mar 29, 2017
I thought this cake was awesome.
Aug 14, 2016
The frosting was to die for but the cake, i don't know if it was because i used a 9X13 pan but it came out really dry. I will make the frosting again.
May 7, 2015
I just made this cake. I baked it in a 9X13 pan for about 25-30 minutes. The recipe makes a ton of frosting. I didn't even use half of it to frost the cake. I don't know how the cake tastes, but the frosting is a very tasty. I put the rest of it in the freezer for another use.
May 14, 2013
This cake was just OK. I did love the frosting recipe. I made cupcakes so I could freeze them. I think my all time favorite chocolate cake is the German Chocolate cake. I haven't been able to find anything that matches.
May 4, 2013
Has anyone made this in a oblong cake pan instead of a layer cake?
Apr 23, 2013
This cake was so good! I will definitely make it again.. it was the "best" homemade cake I've made thus far.
Apr 19, 2013
I love this recipe. I use for cupcakes and cake. Every time I make it, I get asked for the recipe. And I've made it many, many times. And the cupcakes freeze fabulously.
Apr 18, 2013
This was the best chocolate cake i`ve ever had. If ur baking powder is old the cake will not rise. So make sure u check it before making the cake.