Best Coconut Chocolate Cake
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, cubed
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk, divided
- 1-1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 20 large marshmallows
- 1 package (14 ounces) sweetened shredded coconut
- 2 cups slivered almonds, toasted, divided
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking soda and salt. In a small saucepan, combine the butter, water and cocoa. Cook and stir until butter is melted; add to dry ingredients. Combine the eggs, buttermilk and vanilla; add to chocolate mixture and mix well.
- Pour into a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, combine 1 cup evaporated milk, 3/4 cup sugar and marshmallows; cook and stir until marshmallows are melted. Remove from heat; stir in coconut. Immediately sprinkle 1 cup almonds over cake. Spread coconut mixture over top. Sprinkle with remaining almonds (pan will be full).
- In a small saucepan, combine butter with remaining milk and sugar. Cook and stir until butter is melted. Remove from the heat; stir in chocolate chips until melted. Drizzle over almonds. Cool on a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 317 calories, 18g fat (10g saturated fat), 37mg cholesterol, 199mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (29g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
May 29, 2016
Everybody loved this cake!!! I did not use all of the drizzling sauce, and next time will cut the recipe in half for it. This cake is delicious but very rich and a little goes a long way. It slices much neater if thoroughly chilled first.
May 1, 2016
May 1, 2016
For LindaMaria -- a 15x10x1 is commonly called a jelly roll pan. Not hard to find at all.
May 1, 2016
Sounds yummy, but that pan size is odd, I don't have a pan 15x10x1'' I wonder how it would come out in a 13x9 inch pan??? I'll try it and add 5 min to baking tme...Love this flavor combo.
Nov 22, 2015
This is absolutely the best cake I have ever made, and I have made many over the years. The flavor is swoon-worthy, and I find that I close my eyes after the first bite, take another bite and repeat, and then finish it off before reaching for another. A friend of mine put it better: "I think that I need to step outside and have a moment." I would cut WAY back on the chocolate drizzle, for the amount that this makes just takes away from the perfection of the flavor. I put a little bit of drizzle on the top and then tossed the rest, otherwise it just becomes frosting and would cover the lucious coconut layer.
Feb 2, 2014
EVERYONE LOVED IT
Nov 11, 2013
Love it! My grand kids (ages 4, 7 & 10 girl and boys) loved them too. They kept saying they didn't like "stuff" (coconut & almonds) on cake, but I've found if they help make something they always eat it and this was no exception. What a fun day we had making and eating these.
Sep 30, 2013
Delicious! Cutting back on the sugar content is highly recommended, but this is a great cake for chocolate, coconut and almond lovers. I will make this again and again!
May 13, 2013
This cake is delicious and very easy to make. It is also very, very, very sweet. I will definitely make it again but reduce the amount of sugar going into the marshmallow topping (or use unsweetened coconut flakes). Just my personal preference. Also, you can safely cut the drizzle ingredients in half, as the recipe makes a lot.
Mar 4, 2013
This was excellent! The only thing I changed was I poured the entire pot of chocolate sauce over the top instead of drizzling. YUM, very decadent
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.