Ultimate Chocolate Cake
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 45 min. + cooling
- 1 package devil's food cake mix (regular size)
- 1 package (1.4 ounces) sugar-free instant chocolate pudding mix
- 1 cup fat-free sour cream
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup egg substitute
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1-1/2 teaspoons confectioners' sugar
- In a bowl, combine the first seven ingredients; mix well. Stir in chocolate chips. Coat a 10-in. fluted tube pan with cooking spray and dust with flour; add batter.
- Bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely. Dust with confectioners' sugar.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 266 calories, 9g fat (3g saturated fat), 62mg cholesterol, 520mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein.
Sep 28, 2015
I tried this yesterday. I didn't like it. The consistency was sort of rubbery. Not very sweet either.
Apr 10, 2015
I am diabetic and tried this cake. I did not like it. I guess I am just used to a sweeter cake.
Apr 6, 2015
I made this cake for Easter and I was very happy with the result. It was moist, lovely spongy texture, and not too sweet. I served it with raspberry and vanilla ice cream. I did use 4 eggs instead of the substitute. It did give it an eggy odor so maybe next time I will try the substitute. I'd like to try other flavors using this as a formula to keep calories down.
Mar 16, 2015
What do you put if you don't have applesauce? Help please
Mar 7, 2015
So tender and yummy! This one is a keeper!
Feb 28, 2015
Made it for the first time tonight! It is great! I also used 4 eggs instead of the egg substitute. I checked it after 40 minutes and it was done. Very moist!
Dec 20, 2014
This is now our favorite cake. Very moist and very easy to make.
Oct 16, 2014
This cake has become my families favorite. Moist and chocolatey, easy and quick to prepare. I use five whole eggs instead. After cooling, I sprinkle it lightly with powdered sugar to make it eye appealing as well as taste appealing.
Jan 8, 2013
Sorry to be a spoilsport but this cake was very disappointing. I was looking for an enhanced boxcake recipe that was fit for company, I was extreemly disappointed and embarassed. It was dry and slightly chocolately....made as written. If I realized it was a healthy diet cake I would've gone with butter or oil instead of applesauce and added lots more chocolate. If you are watching your fat and sugar and don't care for a dry cake this is it!!!
Sep 28, 2011
Very moist. I took it to work and it was all gone by noon.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.