Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Frosting
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups water
- 2/3 cup canola oil
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon baking cocoa, sifted
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3-3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 to 5 tablespoons 2% milk
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line bottoms of 2 greased 9-in. round baking pans with parchment; grease parchment.
- In a large bowl, beat sugar, water, oil, vinegar and vanilla until well blended. In another large bowl, whisk flour, sifted cocoa, baking soda and salt; gradually add to sugar mixture, beating until smooth.
- Transfer batter to prepared pans. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 30-35 minutes. Cool in pans 10 minutes before removing to wire racks; remove parchment. Cool completely.
- For frosting, sift confectioners' sugar and cocoa together. In a large bowl, beat butter and vanilla until blended. Beat in confectioners' sugar mixture alternately with enough milk to reach desired consistency. Spread frosting between layers and over top and sides of cake.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 491 calories, 22g fat (8g saturated fat), 31mg cholesterol, 399mg sodium, 74g carbohydrate (53g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Sep 13, 2016
One of my absolute favorite cakes, super easy and moist!
Sep 4, 2016
Easy to make and great chocolate flavor! It is very moist!
Jan 29, 2016
I had to make a birthday cake for a friend who can't eat eggs and this cake was absolutely perfect. Everyone raved about it and no one knew it didn't have any eggs. The second time I made it, I used dairy-free margarine for the frosting and no one picked up on that either. I highly recommend this recipe for a quick and easy dessert.
Jan 1, 2016
Chocolate lover's cake! Quick prep.