Classic Chocolate Cake
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 2/3 cup butter, softened
- 1-2/3 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup baking cocoa
- 1-1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/3 cups whole milk
- Confectioners' sugar or favorite frosting
- In a bowl, cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating until smooth after each addition. Pour batter into a greased and floured 13x9-in. pan.
- Bake at 350° until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 35-40 minutes. Cool on a wire rack. When cake is cool, dust with confectioners' sugar or frost with your favorite frosting.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 257 calories, 10g fat (6g saturated fat), 67mg cholesterol, 368mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (23g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Mar 24, 2019
When you’re short on time and want a delicious light, moist chocolate cake, this is it!
Jan 14, 2019
This is NOT Portillo's chocolate cake. Anyone from Chicago-land would tell you that Portillo's chocolate cake uses mayo as the secret ingredient.
Nov 10, 2018
Tis is a wonderful cake that Mom made and so do I. Just an easy recipe and a very good chocolate cake. Can't beat it.
Oct 7, 2018
Best chocolate cake ever. Family and friends loved it. Husband and kids requested I make it again. My go to chocolate cake recipe.
Jun 1, 2018
Sound good for pot luck but too much saturated fat and cholesterol
May 12, 2018
Mine cooked on the outside but not on the inside. I was extremely disappointed. I followed the instructions and ingredients but it just turned out to be a chocolate river.
Apr 22, 2018
OMG best cake ever. I enrolled just so I can write this review to let everyone know how easy and tasty this recipe is. This is a must try
Apr 15, 2018
I have been making this recipe for years and its always a hit. So moist and ch.
Mar 21, 2018
at the ripe age of 48, I can finally say I have made a cake by scratch. I was amazed at how thick and creamy the batter was after only having experience with box cake mixes that use oil. I used my hand mixer and in the future, I think I would use my stand mixer so I could save time and grab/measure next ingredients while the stand mixer does the work. Very impressed with the recipe and how it turned out.
Mar 8, 2018
The old fashioned Hershey chocolate cake my grandma used to make is almost the same as this except her recipe has 3/4 cups butter, tsp. Vanilla, 1/4 tsp baking powder and uses water instead of milk. Everything else is the same. I make it all the time it’s never dry, but I didn’t have any problem with this one either, but I do prefer grandmas, but it’s what you get use to. Very nice cake. Thx Betty