Classic Chocolate Cake
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 2/3 cup butter, softened
- 1-2/3 cups sugar
- 3 large Nellie’s Free Range Eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup baking cocoa
- 1-1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/3 cups milk
- Confectioners' sugar or favorite frosting
- In a bowl, cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating until smooth after each addition. Pour batter into a greased and floured 13x9-in. pan.
- Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until cake tests done. Cool on a wire rack. When cake is cool, dust with confectioners' sugar, or frost with your favorite frosting.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 257 calories, 10g fat (6g saturated fat), 67mg cholesterol, 368mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (23g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Jun 1, 2018
Sound good for pot luck but too much saturated fat and cholesterol
May 12, 2018
Mine cooked on the outside but not on the inside. I was extremely disappointed. I followed the instructions and ingredients but it just turned out to be a chocolate river.
Apr 22, 2018
OMG best cake ever. I enrolled just so I can write this review to let everyone know how easy and tasty this recipe is. This is a must try
Apr 15, 2018
I have been making this recipe for years and its always a hit. So moist and ch.
Mar 21, 2018
at the ripe age of 48, I can finally say I have made a cake by scratch. I was amazed at how thick and creamy the batter was after only having experience with box cake mixes that use oil. I used my hand mixer and in the future, I think I would use my stand mixer so I could save time and grab/measure next ingredients while the stand mixer does the work. Very impressed with the recipe and how it turned out.
Mar 8, 2018
The old fashioned Hershey chocolate cake my grandma used to make is almost the same as this except her recipe has 3/4 cups butter, tsp. Vanilla, 1/4 tsp baking powder and uses water instead of milk. Everything else is the same. I make it all the time it’s never dry, but I didn’t have any problem with this one either, but I do prefer grandmas, but it’s what you get use to. Very nice cake. Thx Betty
Jan 28, 2018
Hi! I made this cake yesterday, it's so good! I'm glad I stumbled on to it!
Jan 16, 2018
Too funny Mary! My sister would be dumb enough to do the same thing lol. Great recipe, thanks for sharing.
Jan 7, 2018
good if my dumb sister hadnt added 1 and 1/4 CUPS of baking soda
Dec 16, 2017
This was was an easy, SUPER delicious chocolate cake and It is going in my book of favorites !
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.