Sandy’s Chocolate Cake
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3 cups packed brown sugar
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2-2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup baking cocoa
- 3 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/3 cups sour cream
- 1-1/3 cups boiling water
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 3 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 5 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease and flour three 9-in. round baking pans.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with sour cream, beating well after each addition. Stir in water until blended.
- Transfer to prepared pans. Bake until a toothpick comes out clean, 30-35 minutes. Cool in pans 10 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a metal bowl over simmering water, melt butter and chocolates; stir until smooth. Cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, combine confectioners' sugar, sour cream and vanilla. Add chocolate mixture; beat until smooth. Spread frosting between layers and over top and sides of cake. Refrigerate leftovers.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 685 calories, 29g fat (18g saturated fat), 115mg cholesterol, 505mg sodium, 102g carbohydrate (81g sugars, 3g fiber), 7g protein.
Sep 17, 2019
Excellent, I put black currant jam between the layers as well. You only need a small piece. I will make this again. Janet VFE
Aug 31, 2019
The very best and now the only chocolate cake I make, there is no better!
Aug 17, 2019
This was the best chocolate cake I've ever made. It was a hit with rave reviews. This is my Go To Chocolate cake love it!
Aug 10, 2019
Wow, is right! A beautiful tall moist dense chocolate cake with wonderful rich chocolate frosting to die for. The frosting was just the right consistency to hide a small crack in one of the layers. The cake is going to my church homecoming tomorrow. I'll be lucky to bring home a crumb or two!
Aug 8, 2019
Question. I only have 9"x13" cake pans. Does anyone know if this can be baked the same way?
Jul 6, 2019
Wow! I made this cake for the 4th of July (what's more American than chocolate cake, right?!) and it was a grand slam, home run with everyone! I made the recipe exactly as stated except I added a generous dash of cinnamon to the batter with the other dry ingredients. The cake came out exactly like it looks in the picture on the website. It is so delicious, I can't stop eating it! It's dense (I love dense cakes as opposed to light and airy, spongy cakes), super moist and full of chocolate flavor. The frosting pairs perfectly with the cake. The recipe made three full size, 9 inch layers, I just wrapped one layer in plastic wrap and foil and put it in the freezer for another day. The frosting was more than enough to generously frost two layers, and then have about a cup leftover. At first I was stumped because I never heard of "leftover frosting" before, not in my house! This frosting recipe left enough leftover for us spoon-loving-frosting-eating adults, and more for another time! I bet I could even frost 1/2 dozen cupcakes with the leftover frosting. So to sum it up, if you love rich, chocolately, moist, dense cake with tangy, sweet, chocolately frosting of which you will have some leftover, then make this cake! Thank you for sharing, Sandy! This cake recipe deserves that winning ribbon!
Jun 5, 2019
I have made this cake many times, it always come out perfectly and I always get rave reviews. The people having problems probably didn’t follow directions. Baking is a science, if you aren’t exact in your measurements and use the right size pan it won’t work.
May 20, 2019
Frosting 1/2 cup butter recipe stops WHATS THE REST OF INGREDIENTS?????
May 11, 2019
Excellent cake and icing. Super moist and flavourful cake and icing is perfect consistency. i bake mine in 2ea 9" round pans so i could do 4 thinner layers. As a professional chef, not pastry but still, i would say this is the best cake recipe i have found anywhere. If you want to go beyond the box cake mix and try something a little bit more challenging look no further.
Apr 23, 2019
Best chocolate cake ever! Made it for Easter and got rave reviews from some very picky people. Made my caramel frosting instead of the chocolate. Couldn't be happier with the outcome. Thanks Taste of Home!