Special-Occasion Chocolate Cake
Total TimePrep: 40 min. + chilling Bake: 25 min. + cooling
- 1 cup baking cocoa
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2-1/4 cups sugar
- 4 large Nellie’s Free Range Eggs
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 10 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- In a small bowl, combine cocoa and water; set aside. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with cocoa mixture, beating well after each addition.
- Pour into three greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For ganache, place chocolate in a small bowl. In a small heavy saucepan over low heat, bring cream and sugar to a boil. Pour over chocolate; whisk gently until smooth. Refrigerate for 35-45 minutes or until ganache begins to thicken, stirring occasionally.
- For frosting, in a large bowl, beat butter until fluffy. Add the confectioners' sugar, cocoa, milk and vanilla; beat until smooth.
- Place one cake layer on a serving plate; spread with 1 cup frosting. Top with second layer and 1 cup ganache; sprinkle with 1/2 cup almonds. Top with third layer; frost top and sides of cake. Warm ganache until pourable; pour over cake, allowing some to drape down the sides. Sprinkle with remaining almonds. Refrigerate until serving.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 961 calories, 51g fat (29g saturated fat), 178mg cholesterol, 574mg sodium, 123g carbohydrate (90g sugars, 5g fiber), 11g protein.
Mar 17, 2015
This cake was just ok. Not bad but not terrific. There are other chocolate cake recipes on this site that are much better.
Feb 12, 2014
This is a very elegant cake and beautiful to serve to guests. With the chocolate cake, ganache, and fudge frosting, it was the triathlon of chocolate! A chocoholics delight.
Aug 18, 2013
This cake is good, don't get me wrong. The problem with it is how much work it is to make! With the cake, the ganache and the frosting, it was just too much work for a just 'ok' cake. In all honesty I feel like you could just buy a boxed cake and frosting and have something about the same as this without the ganache that I didn't find to be all that impressive. I would make an easier lower calorie cake for a special occasion and save my time!
Mar 21, 2013
I made this cake last year for my mother's birthday and everyone is still talking about how good it was, so I have a request to make it again for my dad's birthday in March.
Dec 3, 2012
This is my go to recipe for cakes at work now. everyones loves it.
Nov 22, 2012
Very tasty and not very difficult to make. Looks fabulous - tall and impressive looking as well as a mouthful of rich chocolate. The actual icing was really great - I usually do not like powdered sugar icings. I was told by a bakery to make sure to always beat those icings longer than you would think.
Jan 12, 2011
I have not made this recipe yet, however I am very anxious to try it. I have a special birthday coming up for my nephew and he is a chocolate lover. What a wonderful presentation this cake has made. Can't wait!!
Nov 23, 2010
Yes, as someone else mentioned this does take a long time to make, but the end results were worth every minute! I made it for a special birthday, and everyone loved it! It is a delicious cake and makes quite an awesome presentation. I used pecans in place of the almonds. I would definitely make again!
Jul 28, 2010
I totally agree that it was inappropriate for vinca to give a durogatory rating - so excited to know she is concerned about her health - really didnt need to know this. I on the other hand have actually made this cake, and am a very healthy person - this cake is wonderful! I would recommend it for any occasion - a recipe for the keep file.
Dec 18, 2009
I made this for our Christmas dinner yesterday, they loved the cake, they loved the way it looked! YES, it is a keeper!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.