Chocolate Cherry Angel Cake
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 40 + cooling
- 1 package (16 ounces) angel food cake mix
- 1/3 cup finely chopped maraschino cherries, well drained
- 1 ounce semisweet chocolate, grated
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 ounce semisweet chocolate
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 3 to 5 teaspoons maraschino cherry juice
- Maraschino cherries and fresh mint, optional
- In a large bowl, prepare cake mix according to package directions. Fold cherries and chocolate into batter.
- Gently spoon into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan. Cut through the batter with a knife to remove air pockets. Bake on the lowest oven rack at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until lightly browned and entire top appears dry. Immediately invert pan; cool completely, about 1 hour. Run a knife around side and center tube of pan. Remove cake to a serving plate.
- In a small saucepan, combine the butter, chocolate and corn syrup. Cook and stir over low heat until chocolate is melted. Stir in confectioners' sugar and cherry juice until glaze reaches desired consistency. Drizzle over cooled cake. Garnish with cherries and mint if desired.
Feb 20, 2015
The first time I made this cake, I considered it a flop -- I guess I didn't drain the cherries well enough -- it was dense and very moist. But my family loved it! Then our 11 yr old grandson requested it for his birthday cake! This time I made sure I got as much juice as possible out of the cherries, and it was more like an angel food. I prefer it that way, but my family will take it either way . :-)