Cherry Angel Food Cake
Not only is this cake very light, but it rises nice and high, and it’s not too sweet. Pretty dots of maraschino cherry inside make the cake so festive. —Estelle Hardin, Washington, UT
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1-3/4 cups egg whites (about 13 large)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups plus 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped maraschino cherries (about 30), well drained
- 3/4 cup reduced-fat whipped topping
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Sift flour twice; set aside. Add cream of tartar, extracts and salt to egg whites; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in 3/4 cup sugar, about 2 tablespoons at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Combine flour and remaining sugar; gradually fold into batter, 1/4 cup at a time. Fold in cherries.
- Gently spoon into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan. Cut through batter with a knife to remove air pockets. Bake on the lowest oven rack at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Immediately invert pan; cool completely, about 1 hour. Run a knife around the sides and center tube of pan. Remove cake to a serving plate. Serve with whipped topping.