Cherry Pound Cake
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 1-1/4 hours + cooling
- 1 jar (10 ounces) maraschino cherries, divided
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 3 cups sugar
- 6 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup 2% milk
- 3-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 3-3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- Additional sweetened shredded coconut, optional
- Drain and chop cherries, reserving juice; set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter, shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine milk and 1/4 cup reserved cherry juice; add to creamed mixture alternately with flour, beating well after each addition. Fold in 1/2 cup cherries.
- Transfer to a greased and floured 10-in. tube pan. Bake at 325° for 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until fluffy. Add the confectioners’ sugar, vanilla and enough reserved cherry juice to achieve spreading consistency. Fold in coconut and remaining chopped cherries. Frost cake. Sprinkle with walnuts and additional coconut if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 860 calories, 36g fat (18g saturated fat), 165mg cholesterol, 210mg sodium, 130g carbohydrate (98g sugars, 1g fiber), 9g protein.
Mar 26, 2017
This cake was so delicious! It's a keeper in my book. I cut the recipe in half.Thank you for sharing
Apr 19, 2015
I love this cake. I took the past reviewer advice to use almond extract. I also add a few drops of red food color to the batter. This cake is excellent.
Mar 8, 2011
Substituted almond for the vanilla, replaced the shortening w/butter, added additional cherries dusted w/some of the flour. Did not frost, just dusted w/icing sugar. Really, really good!
Jan 7, 2011
Fantastic and showy cake..the best ever!!!
Dec 29, 2010
I used almond instead of vanilla and more cherries than called for and this cake was delicious! Moist and dense, just like pound cake should be!
Dec 16, 2010
I think this cake was awesome. It was easy to make and it didn't cost alot to make. The moisture of the cake was great and it tasted wonderful.
Dec 9, 2010
I served this for church coffee hour, it was a hit. Three women asked for the recipe. I cut it thin as it is heavy texture. Easy to make
Nov 2, 2010
No baking power; or is it self-rising flour?heavy soggy in center !!!