Cherry Cola Cake
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 25 min. + cooling
- 1-1/2 cups miniature marshmallows
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup butter, cubed
- 1 cup cherry-flavored cola
- 3 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 jar (7 ounces) marshmallow creme
- 2 tablespoons frozen cherry-pomegranate juice concentrate, thawed
- Fresh sweet cherries with stems
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line bottoms of two greased 9-in. round baking pans with parchment paper; grease paper. Divide marshmallows between pans.
- In a large bowl, whisk flour, sugar and baking soda. In a small saucepan, combine butter, cola and cocoa; bring just to a boil, stirring occasionally. Add to flour mixture, stirring just until moistened.
- In a small bowl, whisk eggs, buttermilk and vanilla until blended; add to flour mixture, whisking constantly. Pour into prepared pans, dividing batter evenly. (Marshmallows will float to the top.)
- Bake 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes before removing to wire racks; remove paper. Cool completely.
- For frosting, in a small bowl, beat butter and confectioners' sugar until smooth. Beat in marshmallow creme and juice concentrate on low speed just until blended.
- Place one cake layer on a serving plate; spread top with 1 cup frosting. Top with remaining cake layer; spread with remaining frosting. Decorate with cherries.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 587 calories, 28g fat (17g saturated fat), 106mg cholesterol, 335mg sodium, 83g carbohydrate (61g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Jul 21, 2019
Way too sweet and no cherry taste at all. So disappointing. Cake went straight to the trash.
May 1, 2016
the cake recipe was good,except I reduced the sugar to 1 !/2 c. and can do without the marshmellows.took only 21min.in my oven.i will not use this frosting recipe again,i will use only1/4 c. butterthe jar jiffyfluff,2c.powdered sugar and I was unable to find the cherry concentrate as well so ,usually cherrylimeade is readily available in concentrate which I would use in its place.
Jul 23, 2015
I have made this cake over and over and love it every time! I personally don't see a need for the marshmallows and just omit that step. I never have had an issue with the frosting being too thin and it's my favorite part of the cake...definitely delish! I'm making this for hubby's bday tomorrow. He requested chocolate frosting so I'll be tweaking the original recipe. Looking forward to enjoying this cake again!
Jun 15, 2015
My cousin made this cake for our Family Reunion yesterday and everyone wanted the recipe. Was so happy when she gave me the information so I could print it today. The cake was so good & very moist. She did say she was unable to find the cherry pomegranate juice concentrate. I noticed others were also unable to locate that item. Any suggestions on substitutions? She also said to be sure and grease everything well as the cake is sticky. Can't wait to make one to share.
Feb 20, 2015
My family really enjoyed this cake, but like the other reviews it wasn't that flavorful. I never found the cherry pomegranate frozen drink so I used the leftover cherry coke, using a little at a time to add flavor to the frosting. I wasn't that impressed with the mini marshmallows either.
Oct 26, 2014
Not worth the effort. Cola flavor doesn't come through. I have no idea what the marshmallows are for since we couldn't taste them. The cake was so sticky and dense it wouldn't come out of the pan (which I definitely greased). Taste is okay but not worth it for the amount of work involved.
Aug 29, 2014
Simply delish. Super moist. I will make again.
Aug 28, 2014
One of my all-time favorite recipes from this site! The cake is moist and delicious and I've never had anyone tell me they do not like it.
Feb 11, 2014
Tasteless! I made cupcakes and they turned out light, fluffy, and looked delicious, but absolutely no flavor. Why it has 4 stars, I will never know. Because the cupcakes didn't bake as long as the cake, my marshmallows didn't turn crispy on top as some of the other reviewers complained about. Wouldn't make again. Have been waiting a year to make this for Valentine's Day, what a joke!
Aug 1, 2013
I really liked this cake both room temperature and cold. It was so moist and really kept well. I had an issue with the icing in that it was too runny. So to make it a little better, I stuck it in the fridge for a long time to make it thicker. It worked a little bit but I need to thicken it up with powdered sugar. Otherwise though, it was very good.