Lovely Cherry Layer Cake
Total TimePrep: 45 min. Bake: 15 min. + cooling
- 1 package white cake mix (regular size)
- CANNOLI FILLING:
- 2 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 1 carton (15 ounces) ricotta cheese
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 jar (16 ounces) maraschino cherries
- 1 cup miniature chocolate chips
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 7-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 to 5 tablespoons water
- Pink and green gel food coloring
- Prepare and bake cake according to package directions, using two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Cool for 10 minutes before removing cakes from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and ricotta until fluffy. Add confectioners' sugar and extracts; beat until smooth.
- Drain cherries well, reserving 1 teaspoon cherry juice. Chop cherries. Stir chopped cherries, chocolate chips and reserved cherry juice into ricotta mixture. Refrigerate for 1 hour or until spreadable.
- In another large bowl, cream shortening and butter until light and fluffy. Gradually add confectioners' sugar and vanilla; beat until smooth. Add enough water to achieve a spreadable consistency. Tint 3/4 cup frosting pink. Tint 1/4 cup frosting green. Set aside 1-1/2 cups white frosting.
- Cut each cake horizontally into two layers. Place one layer on a serving plate; spread with a third of the filling. Repeat layers twice. Top with remaining cake layer. Spread remaining white frosting over the top and sides of cake
- To decorate, cut a small hole in the corner of pastry or plastic bag; insert tip #5. Fill the bag with reserved white frosting; pipe vines on cake. Change to shell tip #21; pipe shell border along bottom and top edges. Use petal tip #103 and pink frosting to pipe the rosebuds. Use leaf tip #67 and green frosting to pipe the leaves. Store in the refrigerator.
Editor's NoteUse of a coupler ring will allow you to easily change pastry tips for different designs.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Apr 11, 2016
Excellent!!! Was told it was "The best cake I've ever had" I'd say it's a keeper!!
Apr 29, 2012
Made this for a wedding shower - it was a big hit!
Mar 31, 2010
I LOVE this recipe, I make it every year for Easter, its a huge hit, especially for cannoli lovers! Very moist and filling!
Jan 17, 2010
Made this for my husband's birthday - huge hit! Everyone loved it. Recipe is a keeper for sure.
Dec 21, 2009
This cake is fabulous! I have to make it every year for my sister at Christmas.