I made up this recipe to end a big Italian Christmas Eve dinner. I thought it would be nice and light after a heavy meal. The cake frosts the best when it's been stored in the freezer for a day. —Lynne Ogg, East Bethel, Minnesota
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 25 min. + cooling
- 2 packages white cake mix (regular size)
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2-1/4 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1 package (3.4 ounces) instant pistachio pudding mix
- 6 tablespoons cream cheese, softened, divided
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1 cup chopped maraschino cherries
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line bottoms of three greased 9-in. round baking pans with parchment paper; grease paper. Prepare cake mix batter according to package directions, adding almond extract before mixing batter. Transfer to prepared pans. Bake 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool as package directs.
- In a small bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add 2/3 cup confectioners' sugar; beat until soft peaks form. Place 1-1/2 cups whipped cream in each of three bowls. In a another bowl, whisk milk and pudding mix 2 minutes. Let stand 2 minutes or until soft-set. Fold pudding into one bowl of whipped cream. In second bowl of whipped cream, beat in 3 tablespoon cream cheese, cocoa and remaining confectioners' sugar until combined. In third bowl, beat in maraschino cherries, almond extract and remaining cream cheese.
- Place one cake layer on a serving plate; spread with pistachio filling. Top with another cake layer; spread with maraschino filling. Top with remaining cake layer; spread with chocolate filling. Refrigerate until serving.
Originally published as spumoni torte in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2017
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.