Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 25 min. + cooling
- 2 packages white cake mix (regular size)
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2-1/4 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1 package (3.4 ounces) instant pistachio pudding mix
- 6 tablespoons cream cheese, softened, divided
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1 cup chopped maraschino cherries
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line bottoms of three greased 9-in. round baking pans with parchment paper; grease paper. Prepare cake mix batter according to package directions, adding almond extract before mixing batter. Transfer to prepared pans. Bake 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool as package directs.
- In a small bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add 2/3 cup confectioners' sugar; beat until soft peaks form. Place 1-1/2 cups whipped cream in each of three bowls. In a another bowl, whisk milk and pudding mix 2 minutes. Let stand 2 minutes or until soft-set. Fold pudding into one bowl of whipped cream. In second bowl of whipped cream, beat in 3 tablespoon cream cheese, cocoa and remaining confectioners' sugar until combined. In third bowl, beat in maraschino cherries, almond extract and remaining cream cheese.
- Place one cake layer on a serving plate; spread with pistachio filling. Top with another cake layer; spread with maraschino filling. Top with remaining cake layer; spread with chocolate filling. Refrigerate until serving.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
May 28, 2019
I had some difficulties with this cake. First of all mine rather resembled a Pinterest fail lol. It wasn't until after I assembled it that I realized the edges had been trimmed in the photo, which was not mentioned in the recipe, so mine looked very different. Next when you mix 1/2 C milk with an entire package of pudding it is very thick and hard to mix. No need to let it set, it was very thick before even 2 minutes were up. I had great difficulty incorporating it into the beaten heavy cream. Then when mixing the chocolate layer it has you beat the softened cream cheese, cocoa powder, and powdered sugar into beaten cream. However I could not get the cream cheese to fully incorporate, it had little bits that weren't mixing in, and I was afraid of over beating the cream. So I think it would be better to beat the cream cheese, cocoa, and powdered sugar together before beating into the cream, then perhaps it will fully incorporate. Also this cake is VERY tall and very awkward to cut, it pretty much falls apart when you slice it. It is a rather expensive cake to make; 2 cake mixes, 1/2 dozen eggs, vegetable oil, heavy cream, package of cream cheese, package of pudding, jar of cherries, not counting the powdered sugar, milk, almond extract, and cocoa powder which I already had on hand. Because of the difficulties and expense, I would not make this cake again, although the taste was fine.
May 26, 2019
Personally did not like it although it made a pretty cake.