Chocolate-Filled Cherry Angel Cake
Here's a cake that will catch the eye of all your guests. It's beautiful and is ideal for parties or holidays. If you loved chocolate and cherries together, you'll love this cake! —Barbara Wheeler, Royal Oak, Michigan
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 45 min. + cooling
- 1 package (16 ounces) angel food cake mix
- 1/2 cup finely chopped maraschino cherries
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon maraschino cherry juice
- 2 teaspoons strong brewed coffee
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 container (8 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed
- Chopped walnuts, grated chocolate and additional maraschino cherries
- Prepare cake mix batter according to package directions; fold in chopped cherries. Gently spoon into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan. Cut through batter with a knife to remove air pockets.
- Bake on the lowest oven rack at 350° for 45-55 minutes or until lightly browned and entire top appears dry. Immediately invert pan; cool completely, about 1 hour. Run a knife around side and center tube of pan. Cut cake horizontally into three layers.
- For filling, in a small heavy saucepan, cook and stir the chocolate chips, cherry juice, coffee and vanilla over medium-low heat until melted. Remove from the heat; stir in sour cream.
- To assemble, place one cake layer on a serving plate; spread with one half of the filling. Repeat layers. Top with remaining cake layer. Spread whipped topping over top and sides of cake. Garnish with walnuts, chocolate and cherries. Refrigerate until serving.
Nutrition Facts1 slice (calculated without garnishes): 236 calories, 8g fat (6g saturated fat), 9mg cholesterol, 219mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (22g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as CHOCOLATE CHERRY CHIP ANGEL CAKE in Taste of Home Cake Mix RTL 2014