Chocolate-Covered Cherry Delights
Chocolate-covered cherries were my dad’s favorite candy, so I designed these cookies for him. They’re super-cute with a fudgy sauce and coconut surprise inside. —Darlene Brenden, Salem, Oregon
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/3 cup maraschino cherry juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 3/4 cup chopped maraschino cherries, drained and patted dry
- 1/2 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup vanilla frosting
- 48 maraschino cherries with stems, drained and patted dry
- 1 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon shortening
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar until blended. Gradually beat in cherry juice and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour and cocoa; gradually beat into creamed mixture. Stir in coconut, cherries and chocolate chips.
- Shape dough into 48 balls (about 1-1/4 in.); place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Press a deep indentation in center of each with the end of a wooden spoon handle. Bake 9-11 minutes or until set and bottoms are lightly browned. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- Fill each cookie with 3/4 teaspoon frosting. Top with cherries. In a microwave, melt chocolate chips and shortening; stir until smooth. Spoon over cherries. Let stand until set.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 160 calories, 7g fat (4g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 47mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Chocolate Covered Cherry Cookies in Simple & Delicious December/January 2016