Chocolate-Covered Cherry Cookies
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 10 min./batch
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 48 maraschino cherries, blotted dry
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1 to 3 teaspoons maraschino cherry juice
- In a bowl, cream together butter and sugar until fluffy; beat in egg and vanilla. Combine the dry ingredients; gradually add to creamed mixture (batter will be very firm). Shape into 48 balls, about 1 in. round, and place on ungreased baking sheets. Push one cherry halfway into each ball.
- For frosting, melt chocolate chips in milk in a small saucepan over low heat, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat; add cherry juice and stir until smooth.
- Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes. Spoon 1 teaspoon of frosting over each cherry while the cookie is still warm. Cool on wire racks.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 177 calories, 7g fat (4g saturated fat), 21mg cholesterol, 92mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (22g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Nov 14, 2019
one of my favorite xmas cookies. Many request that they are on the cookie trays. A little more time but well work it.
Apr 1, 2019
I was really worried about putting frosting in the oven, but the frosting is really like fudge. It worked best for me, when I picked up each cookie to swirl on the frosting. In the oven the frosting does not melt. It doesn’t move at all. I’m sure everyone at work will love these!
Mar 7, 2018
This is one of my favorite cookies. Always a hit, wherever they are served.
Mar 6, 2018
I have never heard of these cookies, and I am a Michiganier born and raised in Michigan these 76 years. But I love chocolate covered cherries !!! So I HAVE to try this recipe !! They sound so tasty!!
Feb 27, 2018
In 1987, I found this exact recipe in a magazine given to me by a neighbor before I went to the hospital to have our fourth son. I have made this recipe every Christmas since, just as written. Perfection! Once, I found our 3 year old (that fourth child) eating a piece of burnt firewood from the fireplace, thinking it was a Chocolate Cherry Cookie. Today he is a pilot in the USAF and I send him these cookies wherever he happens to be.
Feb 1, 2018
I make these on the holidays and on Valentines Day. They are always a hit. I make the frosting more like a glaze, so the cookie stands out. I also, if the dough comes out a little dry, add some milk or cherry juice. These are a great treat.
Dec 25, 2017
5 stars beautiful and delicious, adding to my Christmas repertoire. A chocolate covered cherry cookie.
Dec 24, 2017
My family may have liked better if A chocolate drizzle over the cherry instead of covering with the frosting.
Dec 23, 2017
Help, Help. I made this recipe exactly as printed. The cookies spread out to one big thin mess. The icing melted over the cherry and the cherry was left bare. An absolute MESS. Sorry, just reviewed by recipe and found that I messed up. Will try again
Dec 13, 2017
We have been making this cookie recipe for years. It is a family favorite! It wouldn't be Christmas without these! We make these the same way the recipe is written and they come out perfect every time!