Chocolate-Covered Maraschino Cherry Cookies
Total TimePrep: 45 min. + chilling Bake: 15 min. + cooling
- 24 maraschino cherries
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon maraschino cherry juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon shortening
- Pat cherries with paper towels to remove excess moisture; set aside. In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in cherry juice and vanilla. Combine flour and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or until dough is easy to handle.
- Insert a chocolate chip into each maraschino cherry. Wrap a tablespoon of dough around each cherry. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake at 350° for 15-17 minutes or until set and edges are lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- In a microwave, melt remaining chips and shortening; stir until smooth. Dip tops of cookies in melted chocolate; allow excess to drip off. Place on waxed paper; let stand until set. Store in an airtight container.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Dec 18, 2016
I followed the recipe to the letter and found the dough WAY to dry....worked hard to get the dough to stay on the cherries and it crumbled as it cooked. I'm gonna try again and add more butter....hopefully that helps.
Oct 16, 2013
don't know why people had such a hard time with dough. I found it very easy to work with and the cookies were awesome my family always rates a new recipe and we gave it an A+
Dec 22, 2012
One of the best! A must every holiday season. Worth the little effort they take.
Dec 13, 2012
These cookies are delicious! The prep work takes awhile so leave yourself plenty of time, but I promise that the end result is worth the work put in.
Jan 5, 2011
Also, after wrapping the dough, gently roll it into a ball, it helps to keep the dough around the cherry.
Jan 5, 2011
We enjoyed this recipe. I also drizzled the chocolate. IMPORTANT: follow the directions carefully! Gradually add the the dry ingredients, like 1/4 cup at a time until combined. If you add them too fast the dough will crumble and be difficult to work with.
Jan 1, 2011
Awful. The dough was way too dry and crumbly. I had to add some milk and more cherry juice to the dough to even have a prayer of being able to work with it. It was nearly impossible to get the dough around the cherries. This recipe was a lot of work with crappy results. The cookies had no flavor at all. It is a fun concept but this recipe really does not work. Another dud from Taste of Home.
Dec 13, 2010
the cookie is good but the dough is way to crumbly and hard to wrap the cherries around the dough
Dec 5, 2010
Dough to ocrumbly to wrap around cherry, just fell apart.
Dec 13, 2009
I couldnt get the dough around the cherry to stay and after they were baked they fell apart