Chocolate-Cherry Sandwich Cookies
I make these often at Christmastime, but they're great for summer parties, too. Chilling the cookies before you dip them in chocolate is important because it firms up the filling. —Amy Sauerwalt, Columbia, Maryland
Total TimePrep: 35 min. + chilling
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup finely chopped maraschino cherries, drained
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 package (12 ounces) vanilla wafers
- 18 ounces milk chocolate candy coating, melted
- Red nonpareils or red colored sugar
- In a small bowl, beat cream cheese and confectioners' sugar until smooth; stir in cherries and extract. Spread 1 teaspoon cream cheese mixture on bottoms of half of the wafers; cover with remaining wafers. Refrigerate 1 hour or until filling is firm.
- Dip sandwiches in candy coating; allow excess to drip off. Place on waxed paper; sprinkle with nonpareils. Let stand until set. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.