Chocolate Sandwich Cookies
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling
Makesabout 4 dozen
- 2 packages devil's food cake mix (regular size)
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2/3 cup canola oil
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 to 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- Red and green food coloring, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, beat cake mixes, eggs and oil until blended. Shape dough into 1-in. balls; place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets and flatten slightly.
- Bake 8-10 minutes or until a slight indentation remains when lightly touched. Cool on pans 2 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- For filling, in a large bowl, beat cream cheese, butter and vanilla until blended. Beat in enough confectioners' sugar to reach desired consistency. If desired, tint with food coloring.
- Spread filling on bottom of half of the cookies. Cover with remaining cookies.
Nutrition Facts1 sandwich cookie: 181 calories, 9g fat (3g saturated fat), 26mg cholesterol, 224mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Dec 30, 2015
These added great color to the cookie tray. Tasted wonderful as well.
Aug 3, 2015
Nice sandwich cookie. Definitely, don't forget to flatten the cookie dough balls before baking.
Dec 27, 2014
Absolutely loved these cookies! Should have added a little bit more vanilla to the icing however, as there wasn't a significant vanilla taste. Will absolutely make again!
Dec 2, 2014
Great cookie. I use buttercream frosting mixed with Nutella to put cookies together. Then I pipe a holly sprig on top with colored royal icing.
Jan 10, 2014
Dec 21, 2013
Yummy. Everyone loved these and they were so easy to make. My son and I used buttercream and cream cheese frosting from the can to make it easier. We didn't use food coloring but we sprinkled red and green sugar around the edges after putting the sandwiches together. The cookies turned out great.
Dec 7, 2013
Dec 7, 2012
I try to get away from preservatives the best I can because of some alageries in family
Nov 27, 2012
Make these every Christmas...everyone loves them!
Feb 28, 2012
My absolute favorite cookies! I have made them numerous times and they are always amazing.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.