Chocolate Mint Sandwich Cookies
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling
Makes2-1/2 dozen cookies
- 6 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- Dash salt
- 3 drops green food coloring, optional
- In a small saucepan, combine the butter, brown sugar, water and chocolate chips. Cook and stir over low heat until chips are melted. Cool. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; gradually add to chocolate mixture.
- Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls 2 in. apart onto ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until firm. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- In a large bowl, combine confectioners' sugar, butter, milk, extract, salt and, if desired, food coloring until smooth. Spread on the bottoms of half of the cookies; top with remaining cookies.
Nutrition Facts1 sandwich cookie: 213 calories, 8g fat (5g saturated fat), 23mg cholesterol, 187mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (27g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Dec 9, 2015
These are my husband's new favorite cookie! I love how festive they can be when you tint the icing green or red. The chocolate cookies are also great on their own without icing. The dough was very easy to work with.
Dec 23, 2011
I made these yesterday and they are sooo good!!! I think next time I might add about 1/4 tsp more milk in the frosting to spread a bit easier but overall they are great!!!
Jun 14, 2010
These are great for Xmas cookie trays. I finely crush some candy canes and roll the sides of the cookie sandwiches in them, so they stick to the edges of the filling--looks really festive for the holidays!
Jun 13, 2010
I LOVE this recipe. These cookies are awesome! I always bring a big plate as a dessert for new moms. I have to give them to someone or I will eat all of them. So yummy!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.