Sam’s Chocolate Sandwich Cookies
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + cooling Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling
Makesabout 4 dozen
- 1 cup shortening
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 large Nellie’s Free Range Eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup hot brewed coffee
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup baking cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup 2% milk
- 1 cup shortening
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the sour cream, coffee and vanilla. Combine the dry ingredients; gradually add to the creamed mixture and mix well.
- Drop by tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart onto greased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 9-11 minutes or until firm to touch. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- In a small saucepan, combine flour and milk until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Cool to room temperature, about 20 minutes. In a large bowl, beat shortening, confectioners' sugar, vanilla and salt until smooth. Add milk mixture; beat until light and fluffy.
- Spread 2 teaspoonfuls of filling on the bottom of half of the cookies; top with remaining cookies.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 185 calories, 9g fat (3g saturated fat), 12mg cholesterol, 70mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1-1/2 fat.
Feb 21, 2016
I made the filling for these to try in a different whoopie pie cake. The filling is really not good. Definitely not even close to being sweet. Gross texture. Will never make again.
Jan 19, 2013
Wonderful gobs!!! This will be my gob recipe from now on! Love them, thanks for the recipe!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.