Quick Chocolate Sandwich Cookies
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling
Makesabout 6 dozen
- 2 packages devil's food cake mix (regular size)
- 1 cup canola oil
- 4 large eggs
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 2-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, combine the cake mixes, oil and eggs until well blended. Roll into 1-in. balls. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Do not flatten.
- Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until set. Cool for 5 minutes before removing to wire racks (cookies will flatten as they cool).
- In a small bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until fluffy. Beat in sugar and vanilla until smooth. Spread or pipe filling on the bottoms of half of the cookies; top with remaining cookies. Store in the refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 188 calories, 11g fat (4g saturated fat), 34mg cholesterol, 149mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Aug 26, 2019
I saw this recipe in an old TOH Christmas magazine years ago. These are the best chocolate cookies I've ever baked and they always get rave reviews. I have never made the filling. When I get the cookies out of the oven I melt an Andes Mint on the top of each cookie. Awesome, light taste.
May 22, 2019
I have made these with many flavors of cake mixes and they are always a hit. I have done orange, strawberry, Red Velvet, lemon and chocolate.
Mar 24, 2019
I have actually made these many times. It is so easy, and delicious, no one suspects that it starts with a cake mix!! We love dark chocolate here, so I always add 1 or 2 oz of melted baking chocolate to the cookie mixture. Enjoy!! VFE
Mar 16, 2018
I love this recipe. I use some to make homemade ice cream sandwiches. The rest I frost. I'm making them again today!
Feb 15, 2018
Made these today and they were a huge hit! I just used premade frosting for the filling because I don't like cream cheese filling. So easy to make and everybody loved them!
Feb 8, 2016
I split the recipe down the middle, making half with a strawberry cake mix and half with a Devil's Food Cake mix. I halved the filling recipe also, filling half with that and half with some canned chocolate frosting. Fast and fun!
Nov 10, 2015
These are very easy to make and better than oreos. Only change I made was used the marshmellow creame filling found on here for the oatmeal sanwich cookies bc I dont like creame cheese.
Jan 31, 2014
This may have been a bad recipe for me to learn because I have made these cookies three times in a little more than a week! I made them for a party and they were the first dessert to go! I've received nothing but compliments, they are crazy delicious!!
Jan 19, 2014
Great Recipe - instead of oil I substituted applesauce.
Aug 21, 2013
Quick and easy. Nice quick dessert to make for gatherings.