Chocolate Pretzel Cookies
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling Bake: 5 min./batch + cooling
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- MOCHA GLAZE:
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon shortening
- 1 teaspoon light corn syrup
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 4 to 5 tablespoons strong brewed coffee
- 2 ounces white baking chocolate
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the egg, chocolate and vanilla; mix well. Combine flour and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or until firm.
- Divide dough into fourths; form each portion into a 6-in. roll. Cut each roll into 1/2-in. slices; roll each into a 9-in. rope. Place ropes on greased baking sheets; form into pretzel shapes and space 2 in. apart. Bake at 400° for 5-7 minutes or until firm. Cool 1 minute before removing to wire racks to cool completely.
- For glaze, in a microwave-safe bowl, melt the chocolate chips, shortening and corn syrup; stir until smooth. Stir in confectioners' sugar and enough coffee to make a smooth glaze.
- Dip pretzels; allow excess to drip off. Place on waxed paper until set. Melt white chocolate. Drizzle with white chocolate; allow excess to drip off. Let stand until chocolate is completely set. Store in an airtight container.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 161 calories, 7g fat (4g saturated fat), 19mg cholesterol, 93mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jun 25, 2017
The are a welcomed addition to our Christmas cookie tradition!!
Dec 28, 2013
A lot of work, but definitely worth the effort! These cookies are as delicious as they look. Very impressive. Great gift too. I have been making them for many, many years after seeing them in the print version of TOH when the recipe was first published.
Dec 17, 2012
We make these every Christmas! A family favorite!
Jan 17, 2011
These are absolutely delicious! The only problem was I could never get them to shape into pretzels, they always broke apart. I'm not sure what I did wrong?
Dec 8, 2009
The glaze on these pretzels is to die for, BUT I think next time I will purchase unsalted pretzels and use them instead. Much patience is required for the dipping; I think a sturdier pretzel would be easier to hold. I made these for gifts; I'm not sure all the extra time to make your own pretzels is really even noticed. The glaze would still be a killer on store-bought pretzels.
Oct 14, 2009
These are such delicious cookies! A little time consuming to make, but well worth it!