Chocolate Caramel Cookies
Total TimePrep:25 min. Bake: 10 min.
Makesabout 5 dozen
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar, divided
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 Nellie’s Free Range Eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup chopped pecans, divided
- 1 package (13 ounces) Rolo candies
- In a large bowl, cream butter, 1 cup sugar and brown sugar. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Combine flour, cocoa and baking soda; gradually add to creamed mixture just until combined. Stir in 1/2 cup pecans.
- Shape dough by tablespoonfuls around each candy. In a small bowl, combine remaining pecans and sugar; dip each cookie halfway.
- Place with nut side up on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 7-10 minutes or until top is slightly cracked. Cool for 3 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 244 calories, 12g fat (6g saturated fat), 32mg cholesterol, 134mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (22g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Dec 6, 2017
I make about 120 of these every year for Christmas goody baskets and they never disappoint. I usually wear latex gloves to help form the dough around the rolos. I started making these when they first appeared in the magazine in 1998 and have been on my Xmas baking list ever since. I have also used miniature Reese's cups when I have run out of Rolos which are yummy as well
Nov 22, 2016
I have made these for years. I use a small cookie scoop; fill almost full of dough; push Rolo about half way down into the dough so that is oozes out around the Rolo, push the edges of the dough together and release into the pecans. Easier than doing it with your hands. My kids, grand kids and great grand kids love them.
Jul 13, 2016
These are a very good cookie. My oldest grandson loves caramel and chocolate so this is one of his favorite cookies.
Dec 11, 2013
Feb 23, 2013
I'm not thrilled how thses cookies look... They taste ok, but I will probably not make them again. I might try subsitiute the surgar for powdered sugar.
Oct 20, 2012
I've been wanting to make these cookies for years,and when I finally decided to make them I was very disappointed because for me they were way too sweet,however I liked their texture,chewy inside and crispy outside,and I found that the caramel texture gets better the day after because it gets denser.I will probably not make them again.
Dec 27, 2011
Awesome recipe!! For easier handling, chill dough for a couple of hours before forming dough around Rolo's.
Dec 3, 2011
I had the ingredients, the Rolo's and picked this recipe. It all turned out perfect. Perfect dough texture and it made me feel like a pro. My family loves them.
Aug 19, 2011
These are very good. The dough is very thick and stiff, almost like playdough, but the cookies turn out crisp on the outside with an oozing caramel center. I forgot to mix in the pecans so I only added them to the outside and they were still great. I also ran out of rolos at the end, and even those last five cookies were still really good. Note that this recipe makes 5 dozen cookies! (30 servings of 2 cookies each.)
Nov 12, 2010
These are one of the best cookies ever!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.