Cherry Chocolate Chip Cookies
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 15 min./batch
Makesabout 3-1/2 dozen
- 1 cup dried cherries, chopped
- 1/3 cup hot water
- 6 tablespoons shortening
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 3 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- In a small bowl, soak cherries in hot water for at least 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, cream the shortening, butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, orange zest and vanilla. Combine the oats, flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in the chocolate chips and cherries with liquid.
- Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart onto ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 12-14 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cool for 1 minute before removing from pans to wire racks.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 286 calories, 11g fat (5g saturated fat), 29mg cholesterol, 148mg sodium, 45g carbohydrate (29g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Dec 5, 2011
Chewy, Sweet, Tart, hearty, these are awesome!
Sep 30, 2011
My Sunday School group went wild over these!
Feb 27, 2011
My family loves these cookies. Can't get enough of them.
Dec 28, 2008
I made a double batch of these cookies for friends and family at Christmas. The cookies I did were HUGE, on purpose of course. Everyone loved them! I'll definitely make them again.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.