Chocolate Macaroon Cupcakes
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup reduced-fat ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg white
- 1/3 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut or almond extract
- Confectioners' sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°. Coat 18 muffin cups with cooking spray.
- Beat first four ingredients until well blended. In another bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, cocoa and baking soda; gradually beat into egg mixture alternately with buttermilk.
- For filling, beat ricotta cheese, sugar and egg white until blended. Stir in coconut and extract.
- Fill prepared cups with half of the batter. Drop filling by tablespoonfuls into center of each cupcake; cover with remaining batter.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in cupcake portion comes out clean, 28-33 minutes. Cool 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks; cool completely. Dust with confectioners' sugar.
Nutrition Facts1 cupcake: 126 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 14mg cholesterol, 85mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch.
Oct 19, 2017
In the magazine, this was in the 'Good food that's good for you' section. . . unfortunately they taste like 'healthy' cupcakes. They're not bad, but they have none of the decadence that a normal chocolate cupcake gives you. . . and the cake part is a bit tough, which I find to be very common with 'healthy' cake recipes.
Apr 8, 2016
The flavor is great, but the cupcakes stuck really badly when I baked them using paper liners. If I bake them in liners again, I'll probably try using some oil or butter rather than all applesauce and see if that makes a difference.
Sep 2, 2015
Two of my favorites in one recipe!!
Jan 6, 2011
loved this!! Easy to make & yummy!!
Nov 28, 2010
Moist and delicious. A great combo of flavors that tastes great warm or cold.Wonderfully simple and rewarding to make them from scratch! Thanks for a tasty dessert.
Aug 19, 2010
The filling is not as creamy as one would expect. These are good though
Aug 4, 2009
I love these cupcakes. The ricotta filling is smooth and creamy and has just the right amount of coconut and ricotta cheese in them to make them a huge success.
Feb 6, 2009
These cupcakes were a hit with my family. My sisters & I baked cupcakes to test for my nieces wedding This was a winner
Sep 9, 2008
The "cake" part of the cupcake was ok. The ricotta cheese in the filling was definitely not a hit with my kids. I think you would need to acquire a taste for these cupcakes. Unfortunately, I don't think I'd make this again.
Mar 4, 2008
These sound terrific! I am going to make them tonight. and low cal to boot! YAY!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.