Strawberry Tunnel Cake
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 45 min. + chilling
- 1 package (16 ounces) angel food cake mix
- 6 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract, optional
- 6 drops red food coloring, optional
- 1 cup sliced fresh strawberries
- 1 carton (12 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed, divided
- Prepare and bake cake according to package directions, using a 10-in. ungreased tube pan. Cool completely, about 1 hour.
- Run a knife around side and center tube of pan. Remove cake to a serving plate. Cut a 1-in. slice off the top of the cake; set aside. To make a tunnel, carefully hollow out bottom, leaving a 1-in. shell. Tear removed cake into 1-in. cubes.
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese until fluffy. Beat in milk and lemon juice until smooth. Stir in extract and food coloring if desired. Stir in cake cubes and strawberries. Fold in 1 cup whipped topping.
- Fill tunnel with strawberry mixture; replace cake top. Spread remaining whipped topping over top and sides of cake. Refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 267 calories, 8g fat (6g saturated fat), 14mg cholesterol, 256mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate (36g sugars, 0 fiber), 5g protein.
Aug 26, 2017
A 5 star rating from my family, but my option given was 4 stars. A definite keeper!
Aug 31, 2014
This cake was very good, but we found it a bit too rich for us, hence, 4 star rating. If you prefer really rich tasting food you'll love this one! Probably won't make again unless I make some adjustments.
May 10, 2013
Have made this several times! Always a hit!
Apr 27, 2013
I've made this cake many, many times. Everyone always loves it and there are NO leftovers! This is always a good sign! Once you get the hang of hollowiing out the cake, it is very easy, but it took a time or two for me to get the hang of it. It is a relatively easy cake to make.
Mar 29, 2013
My family is always requesting this for special occasions! We love it!
Dec 4, 2011
Everyone LOVED this at the Ladies' Tea that I hosted. Even at Christmas, this went over well. It is light and tasty with just enough richness in the filling to please eveyone, especially my hubby.