Strawberry Poke Cake
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 25 min. + chilling
- 1 package white cake mix (regular size)
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen sweetened sliced strawberries, thawed
- 2 packages (3 ounces each) strawberry gelatin
- 1 carton (12 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed, divided
- Fresh strawberries, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, water, eggs and oil; beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes.
- Pour into 2 greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 25-35 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- Using a serrated knife, level tops of cakes if necessary. Return layers, top side up, to 2 clean 9-in. round baking pans. Pierce cakes with a meat fork or wooden skewer at 1/2-in. intervals.
- Drain juice from strawberries into a 2-cup measuring cup; refrigerate berries. Add water to juice to measure 2 cups; pour into a small saucepan. Bring to a boil; stir in gelatin until dissolved. Chill for 30 minutes. Gently spoon over each cake layer. Chill for 2-3 hours.
- Dip bottom of 1 pan into warm water for 10 seconds. Invert cake onto a serving platter. Top with chilled strawberries and 1 cup whipped topping. Place second cake layer over topping.
- Frost cake with remaining whipped topping. Chill for at least 1 hour. Serve with fresh berries if desired. Refrigerate leftovers.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 376 calories, 14g fat (7g saturated fat), 35mg cholesterol, 301mg sodium, 56g carbohydrate (37g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Mar 20, 2017
kdorfman, just get a cake mix, bake it according to directions, then make up strawberry jello, and pour over poked cake(after it's cooled down) and refrigerate.
Feb 13, 2017
not my favorite. too much work involved.
Feb 7, 2017
I love this recipe.
Jun 8, 2016
I love making poke cakes. This version is one of my favorites, tastes just like strawberry shortcake. I also make a version using lemon cake mix and raspberry jello.
Apr 11, 2016
Absolutely the most interesting recipe I've found in a long time! This recipe it not only going to be one I keep, adding it too my favorites list
Apr 9, 2016
Made so many times. I used it in the restaurant so many times and it's the first thing to go so good!!!
Mar 31, 2016
This was so surprising, it was light and not too sweet. I used fresh strawberries, after blending and crushing the strawberries, I added stevia to sweeten and refrigerated them over night, I also used sugar free jello and cool whip. It worked beautiful! Great recipe!
Mar 27, 2016
Made this cake today for Easter dessert and it was a big hit. A delicious, moist, professional looking cake. Would def make again. The only changes: mistakenly bought whole unsweetened frozen strawberries but added my own sugar and water to make juice and made fresh whipped cream for the icing. This cake is a keeper!
Oct 27, 2015
I take a cup of milk, & a pkg. of cheese cake flavored pudding mix, beat for a couple of minutes & fold into cool whip. Gives it a strawberry cheesecake flavor.
Jul 2, 2015
I have made this recipe for years. It's one of my most requested cakes. I add 1 package of vanilla pudding with 1 cup of milk to the cool whip. Gently fold together. I'm always coming home with an empty plate.