Chocolate-Strawberry Celebration Cake
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 1 package chocolate cake mix (regular size)
- 1 package (3.9 ounces) instant chocolate pudding mix
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate, melted
- 2 cups butter, softened
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 2 ounces semisweet chocolate, melted
- 1 pound fresh strawberries, hulled
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- Combine the first seven ingredients; beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes. Transfer to two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans.
- Bake at 350° for 28-32 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter, confectioner's sugar and cocoa until light and fluffy. Beat in milk until smooth. Spread frosting between layers and over top and sides of cake.
- Pipe or spoon melted chocolate onto waxed paper in decorative designs; let stand until set.
- For ganache, place chocolate in a small bowl. Heat cream just to a boil; pour over chocolate and whisk until smooth. Drizzle over top of cake, allowing ganache to drape down the sides. Arrange strawberries on top of cake. Top with chocolate garnishes.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 917 calories, 56g fat (31g saturated fat), 179mg cholesterol, 681mg sodium, 103g carbohydrate (79g sugars, 5g fiber), 9g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Apr 16, 2018
I made this cake for an auction. The cake itself and rich and decadent. The frosting seemed more like a mousse to me. It wasn't too sweet but airy. Nothing to add on the ganache and strawberries. They are what they are. The auctioneer saved this to be the last thing auctioned off because it looked so good. It sold for $150. Wow!!
Feb 9, 2018
which cake mix is good - Duncan hines devil food or Williams Sonoma degvil food or something else for this recipe alone?
Dec 10, 2017
Awesome, super moist & chocolatey I added strawberries to eat I definately think it was the best desssert at the party. Will make again
Aug 3, 2017
I started making this recipe in 2010 when I was it in the magazine and haven't stopped! It is very rich so I only use a single layer at a time. The cake (minus frosting) also freezes very well. Then I can thaw the cake and frost it for an easy item to bring. I make 1/3 of the butter frosting recipe for the single layer, but keep the ganache the same. I top with a variety of fruits including strawberries, raspberries, blue berries & kiwi. Each single layer piece is still packed with flavor and allows for more servings with a large party.
Jan 19, 2017
I've made this several times. Very moist and delicious. I did only use 1/12 cups of real butter. It worked fine. The presentation was fabulous!
Dec 26, 2016
No way too many calories for one slice of cake!
Jul 21, 2016
Of all the desserts I've made - this one is the one that has been the biggest hit! Amazing frosting on this cake, and don't skip that ganache!
May 18, 2016
I made this cake for my son-in-law's surprise birthday party. It was a hit! When we brought it out, got lots of ooohs and aaahs. It is a beautiful, impressive, delicious cake and is easier than you think. I put it in the refrigerator the day before and added the ganache and strawberries the day it was served.
Feb 9, 2015
The actual cake was delicious & moist. The icing was just too buttery tasting for me with the 4 sticks, however the spreading consistency was perfect. I will use my own chocolate buttercream frosting next time. I placed chocolate covered strawberries around the top and on the sides. It was a big hit with the family!
Feb 2, 2015
Delicious. I might add sliced strawberries in between the layers next time though.