Old-Fashioned Chocolate Pudding
Total TimePrep: 5 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large egg yolks, beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Whipped cream, optional
- In a double boiler or metal bowl over simmering water, heat the milk, butter and chocolate until chocolate is melted (chocolate may appear curdled).
- Combine sugar, flour and salt. Sprinkle over chocolate mixture (do not stir). Cover and continue to cook in a double boiler over medium-low heat, 20 minutes. With a wooden spoon, stir until smooth. Remove from the heat.
- Stir a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Cook and stir until mixture is thickened and a thermometer reads 160°. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla. Cool for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Transfer to dessert dishes.
- Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour. If desired, top with whipped cream.
Nutrition Facts2/3 cup: 413 calories, 20g fat (11g saturated fat), 120mg cholesterol, 254mg sodium, 52g carbohydrate (40g sugars, 3g fiber), 8g protein.
Feb 3, 2011
This recipe reminds us of brownies. It was very thick and had a smooth texture.Everyone loved it.
Mar 28, 2010
I don't have a double boiler, but I tried the microwave and it worked fine. You do have to carefully stir in the flour mixture, though. It only took a few minutes and it was really good.
Dec 11, 2007
This is to die for! It does work the way the directions say, w/o stirring, but once while I wasn't paying enough attention, I stirred it up. That worked just as good. Thanks so much for sharing this. I double it and we eat off it the rest of the week....ok maybe just the next night.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.