- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups fresh tart cherries, pitted
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 6 drops red food coloring, optional
- Dough for double-crust pie
- In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and salt. Add the cherries, water and lemon juice. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until thickened, 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; if desired stir in food coloring.
- For a lattice-crust pie: Preheat oven to 400°. On a lightly floured surface, roll one half of dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; transfer to a 9-in. pie plate. Trim even with rim. Add filling.
- Roll remaining dough to a 1/8-in.- thick circle; cut into 1/4-in.- wide strips. Arrange over filling in a lattice pattern. Trim and seal strips to edge of bottom crust; flute edge. Bake until crust is golden brown and filling is bubble, 15-20 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
Dough for double-crust pieCombine 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour and 1/2 tsp. salt; cut in 1 cup cold butter until crumbly. Gradually add 1/3 to 2/3 cup ice water, tossing with a fork until dough holds together when pressed. Divide dough in half. Shape each into a disk; wrap and refrigerate 1 hour.
1 piece: 359 calories, 14g fat (6g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 277mg sodium, 56g carbohydrate (25g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.