Homemade Cherry Pie Filling
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups fresh tart cherries, pitted
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 6 drops red food coloring, optional
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENT:
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and salt. Add the cherries, water and lemon juice. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in food coloring if desired. Yield: 4 cups.
- For a lattice-crust pie: Line a 9-in. pie plate with bottom pastry; add filling. Make a lattice crust; trim, seal and flute edges. Cover edges loosely with foil.
- Bake at 400° for 15 minutes. Remove foil; bake 15-20 minutes longer or until crust is golden and filling is bubbly. Cool on a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 359 calories, 14g fat (6g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 277mg sodium, 56g carbohydrate (25g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Jul 18, 2017
I subsituted 1/4 of the water with orange brandy, which I added once the sauce was thickening. I also added 2 tsp of cinnimon, 1 tsp of cardanom, a pimch of cayenne, and almond. Also used unsalted butter.
Aug 2, 2015
Great recipe. Store bought stuff doesn't really do it for me. My only change was to add a dash of cinnamon, cloves, & almond extract.
Sep 18, 2014
Had a bunch of fresh cherries that didn't work so well after freezing in a couple of recipes we tried. Turned out delicious with this recipe!
Jun 29, 2013
It turned out with a jelly-like consistancy, I'd look else where. It tasted kind of bitter, maybe I need to pick different cherries, but I think it needed more sugar.
Apr 5, 2013
Easy, delicious, exactly what I was looking for. Not gelatin like at all, for me.
Nov 27, 2012
Such an easy recipe and it turned out perfect! Very good! I will be using this recipe again and again.
Jun 7, 2011
this was very good me and my sister loved it :D
Jun 1, 2010
It came out completely bland and looking like gelatin. My husband and I did not like it at all.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.