Sweet Cherry Pie
After my husband and I had finished picking some wonderful sweet cherries, he suggested I make a pie. It turned out great. Canned cherries work well, too.
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 4 to 5 tablespoons cold water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 can (15 ounces) pitted dark sweet cherries
- 1-1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- Dash almond extract
- 1 tablespoon butter
- In a bowl, combine flour and salt; cut in shortening until crumbly. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until a ball forms. Divide dough in half so that one ball is slightly larger than the other. Roll out larger ball to fit a 7-in. pie plate. Transfer pastry to pie plate. Trim pastry even with edge.
- For filling, combine sugar with cornstarch in a microwave-safe bowl. Drain cherries and reserve 2 tablespoons juice. Stir in cherries; reserved juice, lemon juice and almond extract. Microwave on high for 2-3 minutes until mixture comes to a boil and is thickened, stirring occasionally. Pour into crust. Dot with butter.
- Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pie. Place over filling. Flute edges. Cut slits in pastry.
- Bake at 400° for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350° and bake 25-30 minutes longer or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 449 calories, 19g fat (6g saturated fat), 8mg cholesterol, 328mg sodium, 64g carbohydrate (29g sugars, 3g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Sweet Cherry Pie in Cooking for One or Two Cookbook