Fresh Cherry Pie
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 55 min. + cooling
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1 cup cherry juice blend
- 4 cups fresh tart cherries, pitted or frozen pitted tart cherries, thawed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 5 to 7 tablespoons cold water
- In a large saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch; gradually stir in cherry juice until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat. Add the cherries, cinnamon, nutmeg and extract; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flour and salt; cut in shortening until crumbly. Gradually add cold water, tossing with a fork until a ball forms. Divide dough in half so that one ball is slightly larger than the other.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out larger ball to fit a 9-in. pie plate. Transfer dough to pie plate; trim even with edge of plate. Add filling. Roll out remaining dough; make a lattice crust. Trim, seal and flute edges.
- Bake at 425° for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 375°; bake 45-50 minutes longer or until crust is golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 457 calories, 17g fat (4g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 153mg sodium, 73g carbohydrate (40g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Nov 29, 2019
Excellent! The filling set up beautifully...not runny at all! Made a beautiful, very tasty pie!
Mar 30, 2019
Awesome! An old-fashioned Cherry Pie from scratch. I always loved the combo of cherry and almond together. Simply the best.
Jun 9, 2018
My husband and I both loved it. It was our first time making a pie from scratch and it turned out delicious. This recipe is super easy.
Sep 10, 2016
Yummy this cherry pie hits the spot - I do use packaged crust (easy) but the filling was awesome
Jul 21, 2015
This pie is delicious! It's quite similar to the recipe I already make; however it also contains cinnamon and nutmeg (which my recipe doesn't). We thought it was a nice addition and I will definitely make it this way from now on! I did use 1/3 cup butter and 1/3 cup shortening in the crust and followed the tip in the previous comments to cook the cherries with the juice.
Jul 9, 2015
Excellent pie!! I don't even like cherries but this pie I love and it is very easy to make. I used cranberry juice instead and omitted almond and nutmeg. I used fresh sweet cherries and put them in the pan for the 2 minutes of boiling. First time making it and everyone loved it. The pie boiled over in the oven so be sure to use a sheet underneath it while baking. The cornstarch worked fine and had the perfect amount of 'gel'. YUMMY!
Jun 24, 2014
I did not have cherry juice on hand and just used water. Tasted great.
Sep 12, 2013
Aug 8, 2013
I make cherry pie using only 1 c. sugar and 3Ttapioca instead of corn starch. Anytime we have a new neighbor move in I bake a cherry pie for them. It's a good way to get acqainted.
Jul 24, 2013
Delish! I also cooked the cherries a few minutes on the stove as they would have been too juicy otherwise. I will for sure make this again.