Cherry-Berry Peach Pie
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling Bake: 50 min. + cooling
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cold butter, cubed
- 4 to 6 tablespoons cold water
- 2 cups fresh or frozen sliced peaches, thawed
- 1-3/4 cups pitted fresh dark sweet cherries or 1 can (15 ounces) pitted dark sweet cherries, drained
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries, thawed
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup quick-cooking tapioca
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon butter
- In a large bowl, mix flour, sugar and salt; cut in butter until crumbly. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until dough holds together when pressed. Divide dough in half. Shape each into a disk; wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate 1 hour or overnight.
- In a large bowl, combine the peaches, cherries, blueberries and extracts. Combine the sugar, flour, tapioca, salt and nutmeg; sprinkle over fruit and gently toss to coat. Let stand for 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°. On a lightly floured surface, roll one half of dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; transfer to a 9-in deep-dish cast-iron skillet or other ovenproof skillet. Trim to 1/2 in. beyond rim of plate. Add filling; dot with butter.
- Roll remaining dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; cut into 1/x-in.-wide strips. Arrange over filling in a lattice pattern. Trim and seal strips to edge of bottom pastry; flute edge. Bake until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly, 50-55 minutes. Cover edges with foil during the last 15 minutes to prevent overbrowning, if necessary. Cool on a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 603 calories, 25g fat (15g saturated fat), 65mg cholesterol, 542mg sodium, 91g carbohydrate (50g sugars, 3g fiber), 6g protein.
Sep 3, 2012
I just happened to have frozen (from fresh picked a month ago with my wife) and bought some fresh cherrys and nectarines at a stand. Did a search for a pie with these ingredients and found this one. The only change I made was using store bought pre-made crust. I used a metal pie pan and used both crusts with a sprinkling of sugar on the top crust, set the oven for 375 and gave it 55 minutes. OMG, this is the best pie my wife and I have ever had! Beyond delicious! Thank you for sharing this recipe!