Cherry-Berry Peach Pie
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling Bake: 50 min. + cooling
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cold butter, cubed
- 4 to 6 tablespoons cold water
- 2 cups fresh or frozen sliced peaches, thawed
- 1-3/4 cups pitted fresh dark sweet cherries or 1 can (15 ounces) pitted dark sweet cherries, drained
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries, thawed
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup quick-cooking tapioca
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon butter
- In a large bowl, mix flour, sugar and salt; cut in butter until crumbly. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until dough holds together when pressed. Divide dough in half. Shape each into a disk; wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate 1 hour or overnight.
- In a large bowl, combine the peaches, cherries, blueberries and extracts. Combine the sugar, flour, tapioca, salt and nutmeg; sprinkle over fruit and gently toss to coat. Let stand for 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°. On a lightly floured surface, roll one half of dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; transfer to a 9-in deep-dish cast-iron skillet or other ovenproof skillet. Trim to 1/2 in. beyond rim of plate. Add filling; dot with butter.
- Roll remaining dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; cut into 1/x-in.-wide strips. Arrange over filling in a lattice pattern. Trim and seal strips to edge of bottom pastry; flute edge. Bake until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly, 50-55 minutes. Cover edges with foil during the last 15 minutes to prevent overbrowning, if necessary. Cool on a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 603 calories, 25g fat (15g saturated fat), 65mg cholesterol, 542mg sodium, 91g carbohydrate (50g sugars, 3g fiber), 6g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Sep 3, 2012
I just happened to have frozen (from fresh picked a month ago with my wife) and bought some fresh cherrys and nectarines at a stand. Did a search for a pie with these ingredients and found this one. The only change I made was using store bought pre-made crust. I used a metal pie pan and used both crusts with a sprinkling of sugar on the top crust, set the oven for 375 and gave it 55 minutes. OMG, this is the best pie my wife and I have ever had! Beyond delicious! Thank you for sharing this recipe!