Cherry Hand Pies
There's nothing better than a sweet, from-scratch delight like traditional cherry pie. These precious little hand pies always go fast when I sell them at my pie bakery! —Allison Cebulla, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 45 min. Bake: 25 min. + cooling
- 6 tablespoons water, divided
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons cherry brandy
- 4-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1-1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon quick-cooking tapioca
- 1/4 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- Dash salt
- 2 cups fresh or frozen pitted tart cherries, thawed and halved
- 1 cup fresh or frozen pitted dark sweet cherries, thawed and halved
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1 large egg
- 2-2/3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 to 4 tablespoons hot water
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Dash salt
- Freeze-dried strawberries, crushed, optional
- In a large saucepan, whisk 4 tablespoons water, sugar, brandy, cornstarch, lemon juice, tapioca, lemon zest and salt until combined. Add cherries. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until thickened, 3-5 minutes. Remove from heat. Set aside to cool.
- Preheat oven to 400°. On a lightly floured surface, roll 1 portion of dough to a 14x9-in. rectangle. Cut out eight 3-1/2 x 4-1/2 -in. rectangles. Repeat with remaining dough. Transfer 8 of the rectangles to parchment-lined baking sheets.
- Spoon about 3 tablespoons cherry mixture in center of each of 8 rectangles. Whisk egg and remaining 2 tablespoons water. Brush edges of pastry with egg wash. Top with remaining 8 rectangles; press edges with a fork to seal. Brush tops with egg wash; cut slits in tops.
- Bake until crust is golden brown and slightly puffed, 25-30 minutes. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Combine icing ingredients; drizzle over pies. Garnish with freeze-dried strawberries if desired. Let stand until set.
Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches): Combine 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour and 1/2 tsp. salt; cut in 1 cup cold butter until crumbly. Gradually add 1/3 to 2/3 cup ice water, tossing with a fork until dough holds together when pressed. Divide dough in half. Shape each into a disk; wrap. Refrigerate 1 hour to overnight.
Nutrition Facts1 pie: 589 calories, 27g fat (16g saturated fat), 91mg cholesterol, 380mg sodium, 83g carbohydrate (49g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.