Country Fair Cherry Pie
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + standing Bake: 55 min. + cooling
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Dash salt
- 4 cups fresh tart cherries, pitted
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- Confectioners' sugar
- In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and salt; stir in cherries until blended. Let stand for 30 minutes. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat.
- Line a 9-in. pie plate with bottom crust; trim pastry even with edge. Fill with cherry filling. Bake at 375° for 45 minutes or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cover edges during the last 20 minutes to prevent overbrowning.
- Meanwhile, roll out remaining pastry to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut into 12-14 large stars and 16-18 small stars; place on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 375° for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to a wire rack to cool. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar. Place stars randomly over cooled pie. Sprinkle edges of pie with confectioners' sugar.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 511 calories, 23g fat (15g saturated fat), 60mg cholesterol, 331mg sodium, 73g carbohydrate (39g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Mar 31, 2017
This was a good pie. My kids love cherries. I reduced the sugar because I like the natural sweetness of the fruit to come through.
Jun 28, 2014
I add a small dash of cinnamon & vanilla & almond extract. It is very good if you add these three items, but don't over add any of them . I also use minute tapioca in place of the cornstarch. I find that the cornstarch has a tendency to settle to the bottom of the pie.
Jun 26, 2014
Sounds great, am saving receipe for future pie making.
Jun 26, 2014
needs a splash of almond or vanilla..............a little dull otherwise.
Jul 4, 2013
This is a delicious recipe and so beautiful for the holiday. It did take a lot longer to make. The stars need to be made ahead and took 45 minutes because I made my own dough. I thought it was too sweet and would recommend using less sugar if you use regular red cherries (not pie cherries) It was delicious and sooooo Pretty!