Cherry Berry Pie
Cherries and raspberries are plentiful here in Upper Peninsula. This recipe has been in my family many years. I won first place with it in a contest.
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 45 min.
- 1 can (16 ounces) pitted tart red cherries
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen red raspberries, thawed
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 teaspoon red food coloring
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- Drain cherries and raspberries; reserve 1-1/4 cups juice and set fruit aside. In a saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch; gradually stir in juice. Cook and stir over medium heat until the mixture begins to boil. Cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat; stir in butter, extract and food coloring. Gently fold in fruit. Cool slightly. Pour filling into pie crust and top with a lattice crust. Bake at 375° for 45 minutes or until bubbly.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 421 calories, 18g fat (9g saturated fat), 21mg cholesterol, 248mg sodium, 62g carbohydrate (32g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Sep 12, 2013
This was very good. I did add more berries.
Jun 20, 2010
This pie was very tasty. The filling was a little runny, but my family are not picky eaters so they enjoyed it very much.