- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/4 cup ice water
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) tart cherries
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Red food coloring, optional
- 1 tablespoon butter
- In a large bowl, combine flour and salt; cut in shortening until crumbly. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until dough holds together when pressed. Divide dough in half. Shape each into a disk; wrap and refrigerate 1 hour or overnight.
- Drain cherries, reserving 1/4 cup juice. In a large bowl, combine sugar, tapioca, extract, salt, food coloring if desired and reserved juice. Gently stir in the cherries; let stand for 15 minutes. Preheat oven to 375°.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll 1 half of dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; transfer to a 9-in. pie plate. Trim to 1/2 in. beyond rim of plate. Add filling. Dot with butter.
- Roll remaining dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; cut into 1-in.-wide strips. Arrange over filling in a lattice pattern. Trim and seal strips to edge of bottom crust; flute edge. Bake until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly, 55-60 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
1 piece: 363 calories, 14g fat (4g saturated fat), 4mg cholesterol, 240mg sodium, 58g carbohydrate (35g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.