Total TimePrep: 20 min. + standing Bake: 55 min. + cooling
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/4 cup ice water
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) tart cherries
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Red food coloring, optional
- 1 tablespoon butter
- In a large bowl, combine flour and salt; cut in shortening until crumbly. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. Divide dough in half. Roll out one portion. Line a 9-in. pie plate with bottom crust; trim pastry even with edge.
- Drain cherries, reserving 1/4 cup juice. In a large bowl, combine the sugar, tapioca, extract, salt, food coloring if desired and reserved juice. Gently stir in the cherries; let stand for 15 minutes.
- Pour into the crust. Dot with butter. Roll out remaining pastry; make a lattice crust. Seal and flute edges. Bake at 375° for 55-60 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 363 calories, 14g fat (4g saturated fat), 4mg cholesterol, 240mg sodium, 58g carbohydrate (35g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Dec 21, 2016
I'm not a fan of cherry pie but I made this for my sister-in-law and she said it was the best cherry pie she had tasted!
Nov 29, 2014
My first cherry pie and ur was amazing!! Couldn't find 2 cans of tart cherries so I used 1 can tart cherries (last can in the store) and dark pitted sweet cherries. Cut the sugar by half, mix the juices together n reserved 1/4 cup as directed n it was delicious!!! Make sure u put the pie on a sheet pan, mine bubbled n dripped everywhere
Mar 4, 2014
Very good and easy to make. I use a package of refrigerated pie crusts instead of making the pastry.
Feb 8, 2014
My husband had a slice of this pie tonight. He rated it 'very good'. It is easy to make and sets nicely.
May 21, 2013
GREAT PIE! I HAVE MADE THIS A BUNCH OF TIMES AND IT ALWAYS GETS RAVE REVIEWS!!!
Dec 24, 2012
Easiest pie ever, definitely a keeper
Jul 16, 2012
an OUTSTANDING pie. everyone just raved about it and it was very easy to make. I did make my own pie crust from another recipe though. The filling didn't run out when it was cut and tasted awesome. I reduced the sugar drastically, only adding maybe 1/4 cup since making it for a diabetic and it was great. Made this 2 more times!
Jul 9, 2012
This was the BEST cherry pie I've tasted. The filling didn't run out when you cut it. I only used about a tablespoon of sugar and it was great, sweet but not too sweet. Great pie for a diabetic too!
Nov 25, 2011
wow! this is so good
Nov 10, 2011
This is the easiest, and the best cherry pie I have ever made. My husband, who is a cherry pie expert, says this is the only one I should make!