Cherry Banana Cream Pie
From Hanover, Ontario, Denise Elder shares this dreamy dessert. "The crunchy crust is spread with a rich butter layer, then topped with a fluffy filling flavored with banana, cherries and chocolate," she says. "Guests always tell me the pie reminds them of a banana split...and then ask for seconds.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling
- 3/4 cup butter, divided
- 2 cups crushed vanilla wafers (about 60 wafers)
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 large firm banana, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup halved maraschino cherries
- Whipped topping, chocolate curls and additional maraschino cherries
- In a small saucepan, melt 1/2 cup of butter; stir in wafer crumbs. Press into a 9-in. pie plate. In a small bowl, cream the remaining butter and confectioners' sugar until light and fluffy. Spread over crust.
- In a large bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add the sugar and cocoa; beat until stiff peaks form. Fold in the walnuts, banana and maraschino cherries.
- Spoon into crust. Cover and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight. Garnish with whipped topping, chocolate curls and cherries.
Originally published as Cherry Banana Cream Pie in Quick Cooking November/December 2001
Feb 16, 2012
Our family and friends love this. . . absolutely delicious. It is also good using pecans instead of walnuts.
Apr 16, 2009
I don't like chocolate. Can anyone suggest a substitute for the 2 TBS baking cocoa in this recipe? Or can I just leave it out?